Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Not always reluctant

I did a bad thing last night. I should know better by now, but I really didn’t think he would eat it.

Let me explain. I believe that spending time together as a family is important, so even when I know that Michael won’t eat, he is expected to join us at the dinner table. I offered him some rice and peas, which he actually eats sometimes. Last night was not one of those nights. I was just happy that he sat with us, and didn’t get too much rice on the floor.

Part way through dinner he started pointing and asking for grapes. We didn’t have grapes sitting on the counter, so I popped into the kitchen to see what he was really asking for. It turns out that my mega bottle of fiber tablets has pictures of fruit and veggies all over it, and that’s what Michael wanted. In my attempt to keep him at the table through the rest of dinner, I handed him the bottle.

I know that I should know better by now, but I really thought that tightening the cap would prevent him from getting the bottle open. Of course, I was wrong. When he got one of the tablets out, I really didn’t think he would put it in his mouth. Ever since the antibiotic wars that resulted from the boo boo finger, he hasn’t let anything even remotely resembling medicine near him. Of course, I was wrong. Now, what are the chances that he would actually eat the fiber tablet? He has hardly eaten anything for me for days. Why on earth would he eat this?

I’ll tell you why, because I didn’t want him too. I’ve tried to act like I don’t want to eat something in the past to see if I could trick him into eating, but he can always tell I’m faking. But it wouldn’t hurt to try. So I tried to fake that I wanted him to eat the stupid fiber tablet. What did he do? He chewed the whole thing up, swallowed it, and asked for more. He’s two, how is he always one step ahead of me?

So, this morning when I dropped Michael off at my mom’s for the day the first thing I did was apologized to her. It’s really not fair that she get’s stuck with the product of my stupidity, although to be honest it is preferred. She called me a little while ago and told me the outcome of the fiber situation. I think maybe a tip might be appropriate this week. She ended the conversation with, “Is that chocolate? Oh. I have to go change my shirt.”

All things considered, I think it was probably a good thing that Michael refused to eat the edamame I offered him last night.

3 comments:

Steph said...

OMG. We have the same daily issue with keeping Cooper at the table while we eat, whether he eats or not. I'll have to make a mental note to never let him near the fiber pills...

Karen said...

My Michael would probably like them too. He likes the liquid vitamins.....

gLobeY said...

HAHahhahahahah! I'm so sorry to laugh at such circumstances, but it's hard not to! This is what memories are made of..

Xaelen is always trying to eat my TUMS. He calls it "Mommy's Medicine", which in my current overly pregnant state it certainly is.