Friday, June 20, 2008

The Reluctant Eater

It’s impossible for me to describe how much I love Michael. I love his cute little toes, that sassy smile he gives me before he ignores me, the smell of his hair, those beautiful long eyelashes. Every time I look at him, it melts my heart. But, there is one thing about him that drives me absolutely bonkers. He is a reluctant eater.

Michael was a big baby, born at 9 lb 14oz. He nursed like a fiend. At about five and a half months, he watched us eat with fascination while imitating our chewing motions. So, with much excitement, we started solids. And, it’s been down hill ever since.

Please understand that I love food. I’m talking anything from a filet with béarnaise sauce to a Quarter Pounder with cheese. I love the way food smells, I enjoy trying new recipes, and mostly I enjoy eating it. So, how did I end up with a reluctant eater? Christy, have you been coaching him in your ways?

This past week has been worse than most because his last two molars are working their way in. I’ll ask him if he wants something to eat and he responds, “HOT BOTTLE!” After refusing all of the yummy options I suggest, he ends up with a hot bottle. One night, I managed to get him to agree to a bowl of cereal. You know what the little stinker did? He picked up the bowl, drank all of the milk out of it, then demanded “MORE MILK!” Then, to add insult to injury, he picked up a handful of soggy cereal and dropped it on his lap. I hate being outsmarted by a two year old.

So, if anyone has any wonderful ideas for getting a stubborn, fussy two year old to eat something other than pasta, oatmeal, yogurt, and chocolate I’m all ears.

9 comments:

DesiDVM said...

Sounds like your DS and mine are cut from the same cloth. Mine is also on the oatmeal/yogurt/meat/chocolate milk diet. I swear I wish I never introduced him to chocolate milk, now he wants it ALL THE TIME but I know if I give it to him he won't want anything else. Yet somehow he continues to get bigger....

~ Jill ~ said...

No ideas for you since I have a reluctant 5 1/2 year old eater too who amazingly is super healthy -- guess you can live on peanut butter, ravioli, chicken nuggets, yogurt and chocolate milk. I keep waiting for it to get better and I swear it gets worse. Hang in there and know that it isn't anything that you are doing or not doing.

Zoey's Mommy said...

As the mom of a kid who will eat anything and everything, I really have no advice! Maybe just keep with offering new foods and he'll finally start liking something. Hang in there!

Karla said...

Don't give up hope Joanna. Keep trying! :)

StaceyS said...

It sounds impossible, but one day Cole just started eating a ton of food. He still lives primarily on fruit, cheese, and yogurt, but he eats a lot of it. I figure it could be worse.

LauraC said...

Joanna, I can't believe I went on vacation and come back to you having a blog. Yay.

I wrote a post for HDYDI on getting toddlers to eat. Alex is very picky, so I know the battle. I must keep a zen attitude about his eating behaviors:

http://howdoyoudoit.wordpress.com/2008/03/21/foodie-friday-getting-toddlers-to-eat/

Steph said...

This describes Cooper to a T as well... if I had any tips I would share them, unfortunately I don't. But, you're not alone!

Joanna said...

Laura - Thanks for the link. That's pretty much what I do, and I really do fight with myself not to fight with Michael. I can honeslty say that I've offered chicken about 100 times now. We are a stubborn crew. Michael still won't eat it, but I'm going to keep offering.

-Bridget said...

Ugh, I'm so grateful I don't have this problem.

When one of my sisters was little, she refused to eat any meat. Then when she was three, one day we had a campfire and they let her cook a hot dog on a stick, over the fire. She was so impressed with the process she tried the hot dog. She ate the whole thing. Now she's 30 and all she'll eat is meat and potatoes. Never a veggie shall touch her lips.