Monday, July 21, 2008

It seemed like a good idea

To everyone that was at the Plymouth Meeting Ikea on Friday night, I'm sorry.

The problem with heat waves is that the first day or two are always the worst days. When you have an active two year old that you are hoping will sleep in until 7:00 on Saturday morning, you will do just about anything to wear him out. Well, at least we will. So, Friday evening rolls around, and it's still 92 degrees and muggy and we needed to figure out where to let Michael run around like a maniac. Hmm...we need someplace big, with lots of open space, and air conditioning. IKEA!

It really seemed like a good idea at the time. Michael enjoyed the elevator ride up from the parking garage, and he was in heaven on the escalator ride up to the display level. Once we hit the top of the escalator, Michael looked over the vast array of things for him to jump on, climb into, and smash, and he thanked us profusely for fulfilling his wildest dreams. Well, he didn't so much say that, but the gleam in his eye as he surveyed the scene made it pretty clear what we were in for.

Did you know that two year olds are programed to find every breakable object within 100 feet? I always thought this was the case, but now I have no doubt. Michael climbed on every chair, sofa, and bed in the entire place; he picked up every vase, plate, a oddly named knickknack that was not nailed down; and he ran in front of every responsible customer that was actually there to buy something. I finally just picked him up and carried him screaming through the kitchen section. That's way too many drawers to open and close, open and close, open and...

By the time we left the store, I'm sure the staff and customers were happy to see us go. I was glad to be leaving. I was exhausted and really just needed a drink. Michael, he was fine.

He also woke up at 6:30. So much for that idea.

4 comments:

Karen said...

This sounds similar to our trip to Lowe's yesterday as my Michael ran barefoot through the lumber section!!

DesiDVM said...

Well, you know I'm on the Target shoppers s--- list around here for J's similar antics LOL...

I've got something for you on my blog.

Heidi Ongbongan said...

Yes we have been known to get those kind of stares from people who see the kids being kids. I hope you got that drink!

Mama Mia said...

Ha, we have an Ikea here, but I have not been...I guess I should go With OUt B!