Thursday, July 3, 2008

Musical Memory Lane

I’m a big satellite radio fan, and have had service for well over five years. I love having so much music at my finger tips, and some of the talk content is pretty interesting as well. I will admit that after a while, XM’s music library got a little old, and now I’m going on two years with Sirius, and their library is getting a little old too. So, I recently dug out my CD collection, and started listening to some of my own music library again. I’ve been shocked by how many memories listening to these old albums has stirred.

One of the first CD’s I listen to was the Monkees. I’m not much for manufactured boy bands, but there’s just something so completely free and fun about their music. It takes me back to when I was a little girl, and my brother sister and I would plop on the sofa and watch Monkees reruns. Those were the days when my major stressors were finding ways to avoid doing chores, and making sure I said “seat’s saved” before leaving the end seat of the sofa.

Poor Andy made the mistake of popping his new copy of The Beatles 1’s album into my car CD player. He and Michael were both subjected to me singing along with Yellow Submarine. Hey, that’s what we used to do when it would come on the radio when I was a kid. Can you just imagine how that sounded like? Between my dad, and the three kids, only my brother can sing. We resorted to just sort of yelling the words along with the tune.

Some of the music took me back to my college years. I don’t know how many snowy nights we stayed up late drinking too much, eating chocolate covered espresso beans and playing Harnmaster while listening to Concrete Blonde’s Bloodletting. I would walk home in the snow with a stomachache and a wonderful feeling of satisfaction with “I don’t need a hero” echoing in my mind. I also remember quiet summer afternoons listening to Mozart’s Requiem while gazing up at Cadillac Mountain from my bedroom. Those were some amzing years.

When I popped Ottmar Liebert’s Nouveau Flamenco into the DC player I was shocked at how strong the memories were. I swear I could almost smell the cologne of my then boyfriend. I’m glad so much time has past and that I no longer have any lingering resentment for the jerk. I had forgotten how wonderful the album is, and I’m glad it hasn’t been ruined for me.

I had a much different reaction when I loaded Paul Simon’s Rhythm of the Saints. I bought this album when Michael was just a newborn. When Obvious Child came on I was transported back to a magical day when Michael was only a few weeks old. It was late afternoon and the light was coming in through the slats of the blinds. Michael was content in my arms as I bounced him around the nursery in time to the music. I can still feel his little head resting against my shoulder.

I do have a few new CDs that I listen to as well. My favorite one at the moment is Cyndi Lauper’s new CD Bring Ya to the Brink. I’ve come to terms with the fact that it’s dance music for 30 somethings that are still looking for that feeling we had back in the 80’s…but that’s okay. I’m just glad that Michael isn’t old enough to voice an opinion about my music. This CD would surely get a eye roll right before he stuffed those white ear buds in his ears and turned up his iPod. Trust me kid, it was my generation that first mastered the art of ignoring your parents by way of headphones.

1 comment:

London said...

Great post! I love how music brings back memories like that, good or bad. To this day I still cannot stomach a Kenny Chesney song because it reminds me of someone I don't want to be reminded of!