Monday, July 7, 2008

Screamers and rockets

Last week Andy and I debated about what we should do for the 4th of July. Everyone was out of town, or busy, so for the first time in years we didn’t have a built in plan. We considered going to a local fair and fireworks display until Friday rolled around. The weather was cool and rainy with the threat of storms at any time. And that’s when you have to ask yourself how badly you want to see some small fireworks display? Is it worth keeping a two year old up past his bed time? Is it worth risking having said two year old freak out at the first explosion? Is it worth dealing with all of the traffic, noise, commotion, and a potential downpour?

No, it isn’t.

Instead, we put Michael to bed and watched the Philadelphia fireworks on the HD TV.

It was a good call too. On Sunday, I got suckered into buying some Screamers and Rockets at the grocery store. If you’ve never seen these before, they are balloons that are designed to shoot up in the air and make screaming sounds. Balloons and loud noises, what more could you ask for?

The first balloon shot up a little and made some neat whining sounds. Michael wasn’t sure about it, so I tried it again. The second one was much better. I couldn’t tell if Michael was into it, or a little apprehensive, so I tried it again. The balloon shot up a good 30 feet in the air, and screamed across our driveway, over the street and hit the window of a cable van that just pulled in. The driver of the van thought it was funny, but Michael freaked out. He ran at me screaming, “No balloon! No balloon. Put it away!” Wow, if that’s how he reacted to a single balloon shooting across the sky screaming, I can’t imagine what nightmare we avoided by skipping the fireworks show. Phew.

So, now I’m wondering if I’ve ruined balloons for Michael. And if so, is that really a bad thing?

2 comments:

Heidi Ongbongan said...

We were supposed to take Max out for fireworks but Maggie resisted napping and the day got shot. Of course, our neighbors kindly did fireworks in the street. Thank goodness for disneyland fireworks so the kids weren't completely denied some boom bangs this year.
I got to say, it isn't a bad thing to have balloons ruined for a while.

-Bridget said...

There was no way we were going to attempt taking Reagan and Bailey to fireworks. I think you did the right thing.

I'm going to go get some of those balloon things. I hope it will ruin her of balloons. I hate them!