Thursday, July 17, 2008

Welcome to my hell

My family is mostly of German decent, and I grew up eating the foods handed down from my German and Pennsylvania Dutch great grand mothers. This was limited enough, but when you add in an older brother who threw up every time we ate out, and an older sister who was supper fussy, my mom didn't have many options to chose from. We had a lively rotation of ham and potatoes, spaghetti, meat loaf, roast beef and boiled potatoes, and I think that's about it. The only "international" food I had really had by the age of 16 was tacos. That was also the spiciest food too, now that I think about it. Imagine my surprise once I got my driver's license and my friends had me drive them to a Chinese restaurant! It was heaven.

In college, I continued to explore new foods, well, as much as you can do in Maine. I even learned to cook some of them. And then, I met Andy.

Andy also grew up with some good old German cooking, so he picked up that love of meat and potatoes. He never had much opportunity to branch out because, get this, he can't eat onions. When I say he can't eat onions, I mean any onions. Even the 1/2 teaspoon of dehydrated onions in taco sauce mix is enough to give him serious heartburn. You know, that kind of heartburn that burns right up to the back of your throat and keeps you awake all night. The kind of heartburn that most women who have been pregnant know all too well.

Oh, and to top it off. He's extra sensitive to smells too. He can't even stand the smell of lunch meat or tuna, and forget Kipper snacks.

So, I married Andy knowing that I would spend the rest of my life reading the ingredients on every single package of food. I knew that we would only be going to restaurants that post the ingredients to their foods on a menu or website. I knew my beloved Italian Hoagies would not be welcomed in the house. What I didn't know was that I would end up with a child that got his daddy's food aversions, and his aunt's fussiness. Dinner planning is hell.

A few weeks ago I asked the wonderful ladies on Baby Center to give me some new ideas. I just can't keep making the same 6-7 things every night. It's been ten years of this, and I need something new! I got some great ideas and tried a week of new meals. I was hoping that Andy would tolerate them all, and maybe even one of them would be a home run. What I got was a grand slam. Not only did he like the Chili turkey and rice; the bow ties, sausage and cream; and the crock pot roast beef with pepperoncinis, but he even ate the leftovers of every single one! The only thing that would have made it better would have been if Michael had eaten any of it.

Next, Bridget provided me with a crock pot recipe for pork, as requested. That's what started the hunt for plantains...which I have not abandoned yet. I may have to drive to Georgia to get them, but I've done sillier things in my life.

Here are the results of my BBQ Pork Cuban Wraps. The Swiss Cheese is what really makes them.

Photobucket

And here are the left overs.

Photobucket

I was planning on doing pulled pork sandwiches for dinner Friday, but Andy insists that he needs to have one tonight after golf. Home Run!

However, not everyone was as pleased with dinner.

Here is the rice that Michael wouldn't eat.

Photobucket

Yes, that's chocolate milk in there. Ewwww....

Here is the face I got when I presented him with the tortilla.

Photobucket


And the drama continues.

Photobucket

Hey, maybe I can make a chocolate milk burrito!

Photobucket

Maybe...

Photobucket

NO!

Photobucket

Sigh. I want to know what I did to deserve this torture. I always ate my veggies. I even ate my sister's veggies sometimes!

9 comments:

Heidi Ongbongan said...

Sorry you are having to go through this with Michael. Our little hell is citrus and strawberries. They give Maggie rashes. Ugh.
Does Michael like beans? You could do beans and rice? Like cuban style with bacon and cilantro maybe sneak in a puree of some vege like cauliflower.

Karen said...

Thanks for sharing and giving me a good laugh this afternoon!!

Mama Mia said...

Where did you go to school in Maine? THe COmish and I both worked in Maine for a while...
FYI When I make something mexican B will eat the insides, but not the shell...LIke soft tacos, minus the taco shell, and the same w/ a mexican lasagan thingy I make..let me know if you want the recipe, it's super easy and you can make it ahead of time and cook it later!

Steph said...

I have seen those Michael faces before- just on Cooper. I don't know what I did to get a fussy and picky eater either, but I've got one. Oh wait, MIL told me that Ben was just like this as a kid... it took me a good 5 years + to get him to branch out and that was as an adult- I think I'm facing at least 16 years of this... sigh...

Joanna said...

As far as where do I go to college? Well, I'll give you a clue. HIPPIES!

Mama Mia said...

Bar Harbor?

Joanna said...

Bingo!

Deanna said...

Did Michael discover that tortillas make GREAT frisbees? :)

Zoey's Mommy said...

I had to LOL when I saw those pictures! I wish I had some advice for you. My kid will eat pretty much anything and everything. Like my earrings. Yeah, that was a lovely trip to the ER.

And LOL about the hippies!