Friday, July 25, 2008

What inspires me?

Cacey, over at London’s Calling asked her readers what inspires them, and it inspired me to respond. I too come from a creative family, and creativity has always been important to me. So, here goes…

Sunlight inspires me. I’m in love with sunlight. I love how sunlight comes through the blinds in Michael’s nursery. I love how green it turns the world on a late spring afternoon. I have so many memories in which sunlight plays a role. I can remember sitting on the steps one fall afternoon when I was five, watching out our big picture window for my brother and sister to come home from school. I can remember waking up to the sun shinning through the small windows in my grandmother’s shore house, knowing that she would have bacon cooking for us any minute. I even remember a string of rainbows that we had in the spring of my senior year of high school. How many times can the sun peak through the clouds and decorate the sky?

Fabrics, yarns, and colors inspire me. My mother is a quilter, sewer, cross-stitcher, so I grew up surrounded by colors, textures, and designs. I can walk through a fabric store running my fingers over the cloth for hours dreaming about quilts I would like to design. I buy colored pencils just so I can scribble out designs. I love beads, even though I rarely bead, just because they come in such a wide range of colors, cuts, and textures. I’m amazed by the fabric crafts of other cultures, and would surround myself with Amish quilts and Japanese Kimono if I could afford to.

Books inspire me. Not just reading them, but the presence of them. My learning disabilities made learning to read a very challenging task, but, once I did, they sucked me in for the love affair of my life. I love fiction and non fiction, the classics and the trash. However, I also love the sound the spine makes the first time you crack a book. I love the cover art, and the type set. I’ve surrounded myself with books, and I do dream of some day having one that I author. It won’t be soon, but the call has always been there, and it always will be.

Humor inspires me. I often come off as a very serious person to people that meet me, and I can be very serious at times. My history of depression has left me with many memories that are not funny at all. But, when it comes right down to it, humor is one of the most important things in my life. I’m not fussy either. I’m amazed at some of the brilliant things that George Carlin came up with. Who knew that humor could be so wonderfully intellectual? Just the same, I still giggle over some of the simplest kid’s jokes, and I am not beyond the occasional “pull my finger.” I try to bring this levity into everything I do, especially the things that are most important to me.

People inspire me. I’m not talking about the Mother Theresa’s and Nelson Mandela’s. Not that they aren’t inspiring, but the everyday heroes are the ones I’m talking about. The father who fights to keep his quadriplegic son from getting a feeding tube because even though it would save some time, it would take away one of the young man’s few joys in life, blueberry water ice. The man that faces his demons and overcomes them when he looks in his daughter’s face and realize he just cannot live that way anymore. The mom who quietly nurses her son until he decides to wean - even though others may not approve - and the husband that supports her. These are the real people that inspire me every day to be a better person.

So many other things inspire me; nature, music, the list goes on. Now the question is, what do I do with my inspiration?

4 comments:

Karen said...

Write more blog posts like this one!

London said...

Great post, I was looking forward to reading it! I love books too, I could spend hours just wandering around a bookstore.

-Bridget said...

I love this post. I can relate to a lot of your inspirations, especially the textures and colors of things. And humor, how I love that too! I too really appreciate the George Carlin and Dennis Miller intellectual kind, not the slapstick stuff.

Julie said...

Love your post!