Tuesday, August 19, 2008

"Michael" is gone, and other developments

It's been a busy week, and it's only Tuesday. I've been transitioning onto a new program at work. Or actually transitioning back onto an old program again. It means that I have a lot more work and responsibility than I did, which means less blog time. However, it also means that I'm a lot happier. I'm working with a great team now, and I look forward to coming to work again.

It seems like Michael has been pretty busy too. I had a feeling that something was going on with him when he reverted back to confusing "mommy" and "grandma" again. My mom LOVES this confusion. Me, not so much. I know I'm no spring chicken anymore, but I'm really not ready to be called "grandma."

Infant development, especially with your first born, is such an amazing and clear cut process. Smile? Check. Laugh? Check. Roll over? Check. But, once the toddling starts and the first few words are said, the milestones become more subtle, and less tracked.

I've been lucky enough to catch a few developments in the past week. The first was the introduction of galloping into Michael's repertoire of ways to get around. It's so much fun to watch my reluctant walker gallop around the kitchen chasing Andy. I guess the next step is skipping when he figured out how to alternate his legs.

Alternating legs was the next development I caught. On the stairs. We we heading up for bath time when Michael paused and looked at his feet. Instead of bringing the left foot up to the right foot, and leading off with the right again, he alternated. He hesitated and then did it again, one more time before switching back to the old way to finish the trip.

The third development is the one that hit me the hardest. For months now we have been joking about the Shaq effect. That's when you always talk about yourself in the third person. Michael has been doing that forever. My favorite one being, "Michael wants a, needs a" fill in the blank. (Normally cookie, or a HOT bottle.) He's been saying, "I love you" for a while, but last week I caught his first "I" when he announced that he had the hiccups. Since then, "Michael" seems to have disappeared. I'm really going to miss it.

One development that he hasn't reached yet is the ability to figure out the Bugs bunny trick of Duck Season/Rabbit Season. We were grocery shopping this weekend, and Michael managed to get his hands on the Wheat Thins box. We had our normal discussion about how we don't open something until we pay for it and then Michael got into "Mine" mode. He kept pulling on the box saying "mine". I'd pull back and say "mine." After a few rounds I tried pushing, instead of pulling, and said "yours" and was rewarded with him pushing it back at me with a big, old "YOURS!" I took the box away and watched the look of confusion cross his face. It was priceless.

Don't worry, I'm a softy. I gave it right back. And then pulled it on him again five minutes later. Kids are so much fun.

3 comments:

Julie said...

I love the gallop! Lana does that too. I felt sad for you when you said that Michael uses "I" now. Lana speaks in the third person too, but I blame Elmo.

Beth said...

I wish we could hang out IRL Joanna. You're hysterical! William hasn't quite figured out pronouns. He says "I," but he says "you" instead of "me." So he'll say, "Hold you, Mama" when he wants me to hold him. Pretty funny.

DesiDVM said...

I know what you mean...I'll be so sad when J stops saying my favorite mispronunciations: "Biper" (diaper), "zoom" (zoo, as in "I wanna go to the zoom and see the elephant"), and "robop" (robot - we watched Transformers and he asked what happened to the car, so I told him it turned into a robot and ever since he says "My car turn into robop!") I love it.