Thursday, August 14, 2008

Sometimes I Just Need to be a Girl

I know I mentioned in an earlier post that I have never cared about keeping my toenails polished until recently. It actually goes much deeper than that. Until this summer, I didn't even care about shoes.

I hate wearing shoes. It's just one of those quirky things about it me. It drives Andy crazy because the moment I realize I'm inside and I'm wearing shoes, I take them off and leave them. It means we end up with shoes scattered all over the house.

I hate shoes so much, that this is what I used to wear. Even in the winter. With socks.

Photobucket

I know, it's disgraceful.

I did own some more appropriate shoes for work, including high heels. However, they may have been just a little on the conservative side. What do you think?

Photobucket

For some reason, this spring, I decided that the unpolished nails and Birkenstocks just didn't cut it anymore. I think it may have something to do with the fact that I'm pretty much surround by men all the time. I work all day in a male dominated office, and then I come home to my two men. It's just too much testosterone for me to deal with. So, I ask you, what raises the estrogen levels better than a pedicure and a new pair of shoes?

I got a little fancier this year, and bought these.

Photobucket

I know, thrilling aren't they. I'm such a wild woman. I did branch out and bought a similar pair in brown.

Last week I wanted to wear my black flats, but when I pulled them out I discovered they were damaged by the excessive amounts of salt my company spread this past winter.

Photobucket


Nothing like a nice pair of conservative black flats with salt stains to win friends and influence people. I decided it was time to go shoe shopping. (I'm keeping this pair for the winter.)

I'm a big fan of DSW shoe warehouse. I wear a...gasp...size ten, and any shoe store that requires a salesperson to run into the back room is too painful for me.

Sales person: Can I help you?

Me: Yes, do you have this in a 10?

Sales person: Oh, um...let me check.

Sales person returning from stock room: I'm sorry. We have it in a 9.

Me: No thanks. How about this one?

Sales person: Oh, um...let me check.

Repeat until I'm reduced to tears and a pair of conservative black flats.

My approach to DSW is to walk through the entire selection, and anytime I see a shoe I like, I check the sizes. It's great because I don't get too discouraged. There are always a few 10s around. It's bad because I I have to look at every shoe in the store.

I did find a pair of black flats. I don't think they are too conservative for business slacks. I don't normally go for adornments.

Photobucket

Then, I found these...

Photobucket

And I just HAD to have them. I mean really, shouldn't a girl have at least one pair of red heels, well, almost red heels, at least once in her life? How could I resist?

Oh, but wait...I decided to walk through the sandal section too and encountered these.



Here they are from the side.

Photobucket
Aren't they just to die for?

Yes, I did buy them. But you want to know something more amazing? I actually wore them. Out of the house. To work!

World watch out. There's no holding me back. I love shoes!

P.S. Don't worry. I did this as well.

Photobucket

9 comments:

Kaycee said...

Wow girl!! Your shoe style definitely improved!! I love those last 2 pairs and of course the brown leather sandals in the trash! :P Where they belong for sure..hehe! I'm sure they looked nice when you first bought them though. Chris has some like that that he has had forever!!

Heidi O said...

Those are some great looking new shoes! I waited until after kids too to really get into pedicures. Ah, how they make the feet look good. Not to toot my husband's company but Zappos.com will probably have a lot of shoes in your size. Just drop me a line if you need a coupon.

Zoey's Mommy said...

First of all, I'm a little ticked off at my computer because it won't load the images!

Second of all, I wear anywhere from a size 9 to a 10. Pre-Zoey, it was an 8 or 8.5.

Third of all, I hate wearing shoes too. But sometimes I don't mind wearing them in the house. Mostly because I just don't feel like sweeping my kitchen floor EVERY SINGLE DAY and I hate the feeling of barefeet on the kitchen floor!

But I'm excited to see your new shoes. Hopefully tomorrow my computer will stop being such a pain! LOL! :)

Lisa & Curtis said...

This post had me cracking up! I too am a size 9-10, depending. And it definitly can be hard to find some cute shoes!I used to have two pairs...sneakers to work, and slippers everywhere else. However I have fallen in LOVE w/them in the past several years. I love, love your red "heels"!!~Lisa

London said...

Cute post! I guess I need to go buy some red heels!

Joanna said...

I was really afraid of what was going to happen to my feet when I got pregnant. My mom gained half a size with each child. The thought of being a 10.5 was not good. I got lucky though, and my feet stayed the same size. Phew.

-Bridget said...

OMG! I almost didn't make it to the last pair of adorable shoes because my eyes were still wretching in pain from looking at all of the other horrid pictures you made me endure. Oh my you've come a long way. How could the same girl have owned the first and last pair of shoes simultaneously?

I've been wanting to do a shoe post. Now I really want to do one. *grin*

Mama Mia said...

I think Bar Harbor would be sad you threw the burks away!

Joanna said...

I'm sure Bar Harbor has enough Birks floating around that it won't mind.