Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Stop Hovering

Last week, while we were on vacation, we managed to make it down to the shore to visit my dad. I made the mistake of telling Michael that we were going to see the ocean before we left, so he asked us about the ocean a number of times on the drive down. The two and a half year old version of “Are we there yet?” He continued to ask about going to the ocean even after we got to my dad’s house. So finally, my dad and I decided to walk him up to see the ocean.

The weather wasn’t that great. The air temperature was about 72 plus the added chill of the ocean breeze. The water temperature was about 69, which is not bad for the Jersey shore, but not exactly balmy either. However, I insisted on changing Michael into his bathing suit. I thought about it for, oh say a nanosecond, and decided I should put my suit on too. My dad told me I didn’t need to, he had his suit on and that would be good enough. I know better than that.

The walk up to the beach isn’t that far, however we do have to walk in the road and cross the two main roads on the island. And, even though it’s after Memorial Day, there was still a good bit of traffic. So, I stayed pretty close to Michael to make sure he didn’t get hurt.

That’s when my dad started in on the stop hovering comments. During the quarter mile walk, he must have said it five or six times. It ticked me off a little, but I just looked away and rolled my eyes.

(I really wanted to point out that his constant admonishment about hovering might be considered hovering by some. I’m patting myself on the back for actually biting my tongue for once.)

When we hit the sand, I stopped Michael and took off his sandals. Well, if that wasn’t the most thrilling sensation. He was fascinated by the sand, and started to play right there in the walkway. I did my best to encourage him to come up over the dunes, but he wasn’t buying it. Once again, my dad told me to stop hovering. Great.

“Hey Michael, do you want to see the ocean? It’s right over there” I said and pointed. And Michael was off. Up the dunes and over the sand, with my dad and I right behind. As he neared the water, I pulled off the shirt I had over my bathing suit and flipped it over to my dad. He looked startled, but I knew what was about to happen.

SPLASH! Michael ran straight into the ocean. He didn’t even blink, just ran right in. The first wave hit him and down he went in the surf. The good mommy that I am, I was right there to catch him. The bad mommy in me was loving the look of surprise on his face.

“Where’s his fear?” my dad asked.

“He doesn’t have any dad.” I replied out loud.

In my mind I was saying, “SEE! DO YOU SEE NOW? THAT’S WHY I WAS HOVERING!” But I know my dad. He didn’t need to hear it. He kindly refrained from telling me to stop hovering for the remainder of the visit. Never question the mommy instincts.

Here's the little devil. Please note that the waves are really tiny. I didn't let my kid run into a hurricane storm surge.

Photobucket



Here is the big devil after taking a dip.

Photobucket



And one more of Michael. Just because I can.


Photobucket



Michael loved the beach so much that I had to pick him up and carry him off the beach when his lips started to turn blue from the cold.

9 comments:

Mama Mia said...

CUTE..I love the pics, you should post more Michael is a cutie...

DesiDVM said...

I have to laugh because I find that I'm constantly telling my husband to stop hovering...I thought I was bad until we took J to the playground together. I can't imagine how he'd be if we ever went someplace like the ocean where there's actual danger LOL. (Not that they can't get hurt at the playground, but you KWIM).

Deanna said...

Oh what a cutie!!! I can't wait to get K-man to the beach for him to experience sand and ocean. I second the motion for posting more Michael pics!

London said...

Great pic, your little guy is so handsome! Oh and I would have had a hard time biting my tongue if my dad told me that! He tried to tell me when I was in labor that I didn't need an epidural because my mom didn't have one with me! Grrr!

-Bridget said...

I'm so glad you got the opportunity for that unspoken, "I told you so."

Steph said...

Aw, Michael is such a cutie! I'm glad he had such a good time at the shore. And, you told him so without having to say a word. Don't question the mommy instict!

Heidi O said...

Those are great pics and a great story. I love when our dads tell us something when they really need to back off.
I would have a hard time not saying something to my dad. You are a better woman than me.

LauraC said...

LOVE THE PIC!!!!
I told you so's are SO GREAT. I get that a lot with my mom, she's always giving me advice when she's here bc she had 3 kids. I often tell her - but you didn't have twins!

Glad you had a good vacay. Might I recommend a beach trip to NC so I can visit you:)

Karen said...

Looks like fun! Oh, how I miss the wonderful sand and surf of the Jersey shore. My mom would have been the one hovering and my dad would have been telling her to stop hovering.