Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Some Things Just Do Not Work in Pastels

Have you ever wondered what Crazy Berries Yogos look like on their way back up? Nope. I didn’t think so. It’s not something I was losing sleep over either, but lucky me, I got to find out anyway.

I knew when we enrolled Michael in daycare that he was going to be sick more often, but I didn’t expect him to get a second cold only four days after he had finally recovered from the first cold. He seemed to be handling it better, and had a great visit with Aunt Bubbles on Saturday. We even went out to lunch and he chowed down on his lunch.

Sunday morning started off ok. Michael was doing well enough that I was able to sneak Shirt away from him for a good, and much needed, washing. He was a bit of a stinker in the grocery store, but nothing too bad. However, by nap time he was really starting to drag and I could tell he was starting to run a fever. I gave him Shirt and put him down for his nap.

An hour later he awoke crying. Andy and I went in to check on him and we got there just in time to see his morning snack of Yogos come back up. There was pastel pink puke on the wall, the crib, his pillow, himself, and the freshly washed Shirt. I believe I may have used some inappropriate language at that point.

Andy gathered everything up to throw in the wash, and I plopped Michael in the tub. Oh man, did that tick him off. For a kid that normally likes bath, he put up one hell of a fight. I didn’t have the heart to fight him too much, so his hair wasn’t as fresh smelling as I would have liked. Ewww…

He wanted so badly to go back to sleep in his crib, but he was still making some unpleasant throat noises, so I decided that maybe the crib was not the best place to put him. I ended up bringing him downstairs so he could cuddle with me on the sofa while I waited for the doctor to call back. He ended up slouched over on the sofa watching TV for the rest of the day. His cheeks were flushed and his ear hurt. I felt so bad for him. Fortunately, he finally drifted off around 6:30 and I transferred him to his crib fully dressed.

So, in less than four weeks at daycare, Michael ended up with two ear infections, two trips to the pediatrician, and two rounds of antibiotics. Because Michael was clearly too sick to go to daycare yesterday, I called my mom and asked her if she could watch him. We had already discussed transferring Michael back into her care when her physical therapist had cleared her, so we decided that this was a sign to make the move. Yesterday I dropped Michael off at my mom’s and Michael’s withdraw letter off at the daycare.

You know, it’s funny. I had such mixed feelings about putting Michael into daycare that I was surprised to discover that I have mixed feelings about pulling him out as well. I won’t miss the harder schedule, the extra expense, or the icky cleaning product smell of the daycare, but I do feel bad for pulling Michael away from the friends he was starting to develop. I also really liked his teacher, and I hope that he doesn’t miss her too much. We are going to enroll him in some activities at the local community center and I hope that makes up for what he will be missing from daycare.

Well, hopefully not the germs. I’m done with germs. Michael sneezed right in my face yesterday, and shared all those wonderful germs with me. My runny nose is just awesome.

I’m also done with Yogos. I realize that they didn’t make him sick, but they just don’t look very appealing to me any more. I think I’ll hide the rest of them in the back of the cupboard for a while.

6 comments:

LauraC said...

Wow, what a crazy whirlwind month!! Glad to hear your mom is feeling better.

The entire first year in day care, we had a monthly "do we pull them out or keep them in" talk. It was nice to power through but man, it makes no sense to keep him in if he is going to be so sick. Poor guy!

Karen said...

I feel you on the sick child/daycare scenario. Michael wasn't sick at all until he started daycare and then he got his first ear infection 2 days later. And that's when it all started!

DesiDVM said...

I'll say this about daycare sickness -- Jackson had the same issues, sick several times within a few weeks after starting...but since then he's rarely had an illness. As much as it sucked I actually think in some ways it was good for building up the immune system (my DH rolls his eyes at that, tells me "only a doctor would say that.") So FWIW even this short exposure to germs will likely help Michael in the long run, like when he starts school. That's what I tell myself, anyway LOL.

Mama Mia said...

Oh Boy i guess that is what I am in for starting on friday..And B already has a stomach virus..UGG..hope M is feeling better....

Steph said...

Poor little man being so sick. Glad he's recovering. Cooper also picked up every bug around at daycare, but for a while now it's been better. Hopefully Michael enjoys the new activities you are signing him up for!

Julie said...

Poor little man! And poor you with the Yogos upchuck--ew. I think its a great idea to get Michael involved in some type of class through the community center. Lana doesn't go to daycare, but we have lots of playdates and she does Little Gym. It has really helped her socialize and interact with other adults as well as kids.