Thursday, November 13, 2008

Cautiously Optimistic

Michael’s health seems to be improving, and I’m starting to get excited about maybe having a relaxing, productive weekend. But, I don’t want to get my hopes up too much, because I will be so disappointed if I’m wrong.

He was very cranky when he got home last night, but I think that was because my mom wore him out yesterday. They took a trip to the local zoo and stayed for a long time. She got him home late for his nap, and then he zonked out before ever making it into his crib. When it was time to come home, he was very upset about having to wake up, and he took that out on Andy and I for a good half hour. But, once he perked up, he was closer to being his normal sweet and silly self than he has in a while. I made sure to get him to bed nice and early so he can start catching up on all the sleep he missed while sick.

His appetite, what little he has that is, seems to be coming back. He actually ate part of a peanut butter sandwich last night. He’ll eat bread, and he’ll eat crackers with peanut butter, but I’ve never been allowed to mix bread and peanut butter before. It was exciting. Then, about half an hour before bed, I made the mistake of talking about hot dogs with him. He decided that he absolutely had to have one. I think it was a little too much food, too soon. As I was lifting him to put him in his crib, he burped up a bit of food. The good news though, was it only went into my hair and both our shirts. No sheets to change. Yay!*

It’s funny, he was so tired last night, but he was also a bit clingy. He fought me about going into the crib, and started making excuses for why I couldn’t go. One of them was that he wanted pink candy juice. Dude, you cannot cry, scream, and fight for three days every time I mention the stuff, and then fool me into thinking you actually want it when I’m about to leave the room. I’ve taken Stalling at Bedtime 101, and I know what you are up to. Now go to bed.

He was out cold before I made it half way down the hall.

I’ve actually called my mom’s several times today just to make sure that he really is getting better. That burp-up last night scared me a little. However, when I called the last time all I could hear in the background was, “Ahhhh! Ahhh!” thunk, as Michael rammed my mom in excitement. Then, he started bouncing on her. Next, he pushed her off the sofa with another “Ahhhh!” Now, that sounds more like my boy.

Maybe, just maybe, he’s feeling better.

*Yes, I really did just cheer because my kid only puked in my hair.

7 comments:

Mama Mia said...

Yeah for puke only in the hair!
I am glad he is feeling better...

Karla said...

Oh Joanna! SO glad to hear that Michael *finally* seems to be on the mend! Doesn't it feel like forever when they are sick???

Aly said...

I'm crossing my fingers for you that he's finally getting better!

Steph said...

Thinking good happy healthy thoughts for Michael... the zoo sounds fun too.

I would cheer for puke only in the hair too after all that you have been through recently.

And, wow, I'm impressed- both bread and peanut butter and together. Cooper still won't venture to try either, whether separate or together!

DesiDVM said...

Peanut butter and bread TOGETHER?!? Unheard of. That's almost as crazy as a hamburger eaten AT THE SAME TIME as the bun. You're light years ahead of my house LOL.

Heidi O said...

Here is hoping that he is getting past it.

Maria said...

Puke in the hair and not on the sheets!! Whoo Hoo! Here's to a clean hair puke free day tomorrow.