Monday, November 17, 2008

Daddies Do it Best

Being a mom is a wonderful experience. I get to cuddle and snuggle with my little boy, be somewhat over protective, and kiss booboos when they happen. But daddies, they just do things differently.

On Saturday morning, I was upstairs blow drying my hair while Andy was playing with Michael in the living room. My hairdryer is pretty noisy, so I had no idea that they had come upstairs and were goofing around until Michael appeared out of no where with a big grin on his face, and a rope tied around his waist. I look up, and there is Andy on the other end of the rope letting Michael drag him around.

Of course, being a mom, the first thing that pops into my mind is that there is no way that looping a rope around my child is safe and that they should cease and desist ASAP. What if the slip knot somehow gets around Michael’s neck and tightens up? Who in their right mind would ever put a rope around a child? I was about to say something when they both broke out in fits of giggles and tore off down the hall.

So, I resumed drying my hair, contemplating how safe it was for Michael to be racing around with a rope around his waist. Boom! Michael came crashing into my legs, still giggling, still with Andy in tow. Before I could say anything, they were off again on their own little Iditarod through the house. I could hear them laughing down the hall over my hair dryer. The next time Michael came crashing into my legs, I just laughed along with them. I have no idea what was going on, but it was clearly the most fun the boys have had in weeks.

And that’s just the way it is. Sure, when Michael needs a hug or some comforting, I’m number one. But, when it comes to having fun, Daddy does it best.

7 comments:

MyWorld said...

It took me a long time to realize that just because Daddy's way wasn't my way, that didn't make it the wrong way. It has taken two years for me not to tell him how to do something the "right" way, and sometimes I still do.

It's great having a good Daddy.

Maria said...

This sounds all too familliar. In our house, when I do bedtime it is all about relaxing. When Will does it it is a serious wrestling match complete with championship belt. Daddies are awesome.

DesiDVM said...

I'm actually glad that I work every other Saturday because J and Daddy get to have that day to themselves. They go to the barbershop, or the park, or football games. Last week they even went to an airshow with just the two of them (I was a little miffed b/c I wanted to go too LOL). I think it helps that I'm not around because I also can't help but "step in" or add my 2 cents of Mommy wisdom. It's great for their relationship.

Mel said...

That's what Daddies are for - to roughhouse! And mommies are to try to maintain safety in the environment. But daddies are more fun!

Heidi O said...

That sounds great. It's nice to give up the reins.

Zoey's Mommy said...

Aww!! That's so adorable. Before I married my husband, I knew he'd be a wonderful husband, but I knew he'd be an even better daddy when we decided to have kids. He is always doing Z's hair and playing tea party with her. So cute!

Karen said...

Sounds like lots of fun! I know Todd does things with Michael that I wouldn't do but he enjoys every minute of spending time with his daddy!!