Friday, November 21, 2008

It's not even Thanksgiving yet!

I was a little surprised back in October when I noticed flakes of snow mixing in with rain one morning. The only time I’ve ever seen snow that early was when I lived in Maine. I figured that was a sign that we are going to have a cold, snowy winter. I didn’t think it would mean we would have a cold, snowy autumn.

Earlier this week, the oh-so-accurate weather people forecast snow showers for the end of the week. I didn’t think much of it when it started to flurry yesterday afternoon. I started to wonder a little when it was still snowing last night. Now, I keep glancing out the window to watch the snow storm cover up the trees, grass, and cars. We have about 2 inches on the ground. Snow showers my tush.

I cannot say that I’m disappointed though. I love snow. In fact, I have a strange compulsion to watch snow. I know that I should be working, but I can’t help myself. I keep glancing up over my cube to watch the flakes flying through the air. Every time I get up, I have to wander by a window so I can see how much snow has fallen. In fact, even though I know just how bad traffic gets in the snow, I can’t help but wish for more. I’ll temporarily change my mind if I have a two hour, white knuckled ride home this afternoon. But as soon as I’m safe and warm, I’ll peek out the window and fall in love with the snow all over again.

It’s a good thing too. I have a feeling we are going to be seeing a lot of it this year.

I also have a pubic service announcement for this morning.

Do you know what the leading cause of car fires at gas stations is? Static electricity. Do you know who it happens to the most? Women. The reason that it happens to women more is because we are more likely to flip the lever on the gas pump handle and then sit in the car while the tank fills. The motion in all of our winter clothes leads to static build up that is discharged when we touch the pump handle. You know, where all those gas fumes have been seeping out of your gas tank.

One way to avoid this is to touch something metal away from the pump handle to discharge the static. The better way is to keep your hand in contact with the handle the entire time. It’s chilly, but it's the safest way to fill up your car.

Please keep that in mind this winter.

Now, if you will excuse me, I have some snow to watch. I mean, work to do.

2 comments:

Karen said...

I always read the warning on the gas pumps but have never gotten back in the car. I usually go to stations that don't have the automatic pumps!

Zoey's Mommy said...

I generally like the snow as well, but I HATE driving in it. Otherwise, I think it's so beautiful and love playing in it! It has been snowing here for about a week or two. Some is sticking to the ground and the roads are for the most part clear. It's just perfect.

And what a great PSA. Although I'll admit I don't really have to worry about it because the hubby is the one who always pumps the gas!