Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Sometimes Mommies Are Bad Too

Michael has found a new way to experience his love of letters. I bought a set of letter cookie cutters a while back, and after trying to make letter cookies once, I decided it was more trouble than it was worth. So, I relegated them to use with Play-Doh. For Michael, it opened up a whole new world of letter play. For me, it simply increased the number of times I need to polish the coffee table. (Which is still preferable to the tourture of making letter cookies.)

Michael hasn’t mastered the art of cutting out letters in Play-Doh, so I do most of the cutting. Last night, I cut out a “D” and Michael noticed the hole left in the Play-Doh where the “D” was removed from.

“What’s that?” He asked excited.

“It’s the hole where the D was.” I responded.

“A D-hole!” Michael exclaimed, very excited.

He then requested a “B”, his favorite letter. I cut it out, and he picked up the outline shape of the “B” and started twirling it around on his finger. “A B-hole!”

I’ve discovered that parenting isn’t always a clear cut science. You typically don’t make one big mistake that screws your child up for life, and you can’t expect one shinning moment to make up for multiple little failures. What that means to me is that every moment, every decision is an opportunity to do the right thing. Or the wrong thing.

I glanced over at Andy and saw that smirk that said he was thinking the same thing that I was. I raised my eyebrow in question, but he didn’t say anything. It was up to me.

So, I picked up the “A” cookie cutter and cut out an “A”. Then giggled little an eight year old boy as Michael shouted, “An A-hole!”

I guess I should start saving for his therapy fund, shouldn’t I?

14 comments:

London said...

LMAO! I would have done the same thing, I'm ashamed to admit.

Mama Mia said...

That could be one of the funniest things I have heard of! LOVE IT

Maria said...

Joanna-
That's as good as the time Allie walked up to me at a party hand in hand with her Dad and said, "Mommy, this is a great f*ckin party!" Nice.

Erin said...

Oh that is too funny! Definitely something i would do, too!

LauraC said...

I knew where it was going and STILL laughed!

(I told Jon the 529s can be used for education or therapy.)

Mel said...

Oh you walked right into that one!! ROTFL!!!

Beth said...

I had to forward this one to DH! We both got a huge kick out it. Thanks for the laugh!

Kara said...

Hilarious!

DesiDVM said...

That's not bad, just good fun LOL. Recently J has taken to saying "Don't push me!" whenever he doesn't want me to pick him up, touch him, etc. So what did I do? I taught him to add "cause I'm close to the edge!" afterwards. Daycare lady commented that he says that phrase alot now, thanks Mommy.

Steph said...

LOL- too funny! I have been guilty of teaching Cooper a few phrases.... 'word to your momma' is a favorite of his right now.

Zoey's Mommy said...

Hehehe!!! I could tell where this was going and I still cracked up when I read it! Zoey is always saying things like this and although I'm sure I'll regret it later, I find it hilarious right now! I guess we need to work on our "language skills" before preschool next year!

Melissa said...

That is soo funny! I definitely would have cracked up too.

And that is a creative way to teach letters~ I'm going to have to steal that activity to use with Aiden.

Karen said...

The things these kids say....and they don't even realize it!

-Bridget said...

You're my hero.