Friday, November 14, 2008

These are the moments that it’s all about

I was very hopeful yesterday that Michael would be in a better mood. I was a little concerned when I picked him up from my mom’s because he kept begging for grandma on the ride home. I was even more concerned when he refused to get out of the car. I finally picked him up and lugged him inside, only to have him try and unlock the door while screaming for “CAR, CAR, GRANDMA, GRANDMA!” Sigh. So much for my peaceful evening.

However, once he calmed down, he perked right and reminded me of just how much fun he can be. For the first time in a week, he was much more interested in doing things than watching TV. He got out his puzzles and his trains and we played with them for a bit. He also started asking for food, and ate most of an apple, an entire piece of string cheese, and a bunch of letter cookies. (Desi, if it makes you feel any better, Michael will not touch beef, even if I tell him a hamburger is a crabby patty.) He stuffed himself enough that I didn’t bother trying to convince him to sit with us during dinner.

After dinner, he found some of his letter cookie cutters, and took them into the dinning room to play. He played quietly for a little while so Andy and I went about our business. The next thing I know, Michael comes walking into the room with three binkies sticking out of his mouth. I don’t even know how he kept them in there considering he was giggling the whole time. It really cracked me up. I haven’t seen such blatant silliness in a while.

It’s amazing, all of the stress and worry of the past month or so just drained away with that goofy, multibinky smile. I laughed and gave him a big hug and a smooch attack, which gave way to more giggles from both of us. These are the moments that it’s all about.

4 comments:

Zoey's Mommy said...

Oh I'm so happy that he's feeling better!

Steph said...

Oh Yeah! Amazing how such a small gesture can wash away all the stress and worry!

Heidi O said...

It's all about the little things

Karla said...

How wonderful that Michael is doing better!