Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Best Christmas Dinner Ever

Well, I may be exaggerating a little, but I'm so glad that I decided to simplify and focus on just a few special dishes. I made Sausage and Bowties in Tomato Cream Sauce and Fettuchini Alfredo, both of which turned out wonderfully. I may have gotten a little carried away when I served three pounds of pasta though. We'll be eating leftovers forever. We also had salad and homemade garlic bread. Yum.

But, the real focus for me this year was a single pie. I made the Pioneer Woman's Scrumptious Apple Pie and served it with homemade ice cream and whipped cream. It was the best pie I have ever eaten. Seriously, I'm a pumpkin pie fan, and even I choose the apple pie over the pumpkin pie I had made. Folks, I didn't even like apple pie until I tried this one. If you only ever bake one more thing in your entire life, it should be this pie.

After dinner, when we opened gifts from my family, I had a surprising gift that related directly to the pie recipe. While I was searching for recipes before Christmas, I must have checked out the apple pie recipe about 10 times. Every time I looked at it, I noticed the picture that The Pioneer Woman shows of her favorite knife. It's a Henckles Santoku knife. My sister must have channeled my desire, and surprised me with the very knife I had been drooling over for weeks. She's amazing like that.

I'd share more about the first Christmas when Michael actually got it, but there is only one piece of pie left, and after posting about it, I think I need to go eat it.

2 comments:

Mel said...

That pie looks INCREDIBLE!! And I love her step by step instructions. I think I will try that one! (Caramel too - YUM!)

LauraC said...

I already have a post planned in my head about how I need a Pioneer Woman intervention. Three days after Christmas, I made PW Penne a la Betsy. We had gravy leftover so I made ANOTHER 5lbs of PW mashed potatoes.

You and Jon are enabling me!!!

(Jon and I are both trying to lose weight before our birthdays... so PW is a special Saturday night only thing until I'm rocking a bikini.)