Tuesday, December 23, 2008

He Swallowed What?

I normally call my my around 8:00 am to check in and see how Michael is doing. Before I do that, I typically take a trip to the ladies room, in case we end up talking for a while. This morning, when I returned to my desk, the red light was blinking on my phone. Considering this is the last day of work before the office closes for the year, I couldn't imagine that it would be work related. We are all just goofing around. So, I checked the received call log. It was my mom. The woman who is loath to make a phone call for any reason except an emergency. Oh crap.

"Hi mom. What's up?"

"Well, I have two problems."

"Ok?"

"Well, the cable for the monitor that you bought me doesn't fit on my computer."

"Ok. Have Andy check it out when he picks up Michael and well get you what you need."

"Sure."

"Ah, mom. What's the other problem?" You know, the one that couldn't wait for me to make my normal call?"

"Well, I had to bribe Michael to let me change his diaper so I gave him my Mag-lite. Before I knew what had happened, he pulled the light bulb off and swallowed it?"

Oh, so that's what was so important. My son just swallowed a small piece of glass. I can sort of see how the cable for the monitor was more important than that. I mean, it's not like my kid just ate GLASS or anything.

I Googled it and determined that yes, the bulb is glass. But also learned that there is a spare bulb in the other end. I suggested that she pull that out as a reference and give the doctor a call.

She called back about 20 minutes later (I love my pediatrician's office) and told me that the doctor said it should pass through on its own. We just need to keep an eye on him for the next two weeks. Phew.

Oh, but the good news is that my mom was able to get her light working with the spare bulb.

P.S. Seeing how I'm a lunch break blogger who will be on vacation for the next two weeks, I may not be posting much. I should be back to my normal erratic posting on January 5th.

7 comments:

Deanna said...

We still have to bribe them to change their diapers?!? DANG! I keep hoping K-man will grow out of it. Right now, he only accepts cellphones, remote controls, or the bottle as a bribe for holding still and not slathering poo everywhere.

Maria said...

That gives a whole new meaning to "the light at the end of the tunnel" huh?
Merry Christmas

Steph said...

Maria's comment has me LOL...

Enjoy your holiday!!!

Zoey's Mommy said...

Oh wow. And I thought last year when Zoey swallowed earrings it was bad. At least we got a neat x-ray pic out of it! Hopefully Michael won't have any problems and it passes quickly!

Karla said...

Oh boy, how is this uh...situation working for you, er Michael?

Rebecca said...

YOWZA!!!
Just shaking my head at the monitor info coming before the "he swallowed the bulb" Ugh......
Hope it "passes" soon!

Lucinda said...

I'm so glad I ran into your blog. My son just did the same thing tonight with a mini maglite that I gave him to play with. Not two minutes I was upstairs and hubby tells me my 2.5 year old either lost the tiny bulb or swalloed it. Ahhhh! I'm so tired running around with two boys 6 months and 2.5 year old that I was trying to avoid a trip to the E.R. if possible tonight lol! We searched and searched, but it so darn small. We did find a spare bulb and I said forget it we're not looking for that darn thing lets see what I can find on the net first.