Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Meme for Christmas

I think I'm going to do a post about PMS later, so here is something cheery for the day. Melissa at My Little World tagged me with a meme. It was fun to do, and helped me reflect on some of the more important parts of the holidays.

Egg nog or hot chocolate?
Hot chocolate.

Does Santa wrap presents or set them under the tree?
Wrapped.

Colored lights on tree or white?
I used to be all about the white lights until I met dh. He really likes colored lights, and that’s what we have used. This year we bought a pre-lit tree with white lights, and I have to say, I miss the color.

When do you put your decorations up?
A few Saturdays before Christmas.

What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
Lasagna.

Favorite holiday memory as a child:
The year my brother and sister bought each other Alf dolls. They were both so excited that they had to show me what they had bought. I had to keep a straight face and the secret for several weeks. It was so worth it on Christmas morning when they each brought out their very similar looking presents for each other. They each eyed the other’s gift while I giggled to myself.

When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
I’ve always been a skeptic, so I don’t think I ever believed. Of course, my sister didn’t help. One year the neighbor association decided to do a Santa tracking thing over the CB radios (Yes, it was the 70’s). My dad handed my sister the radio, she clicked the button, and then announced to the whole audience that Santa was a fake.

Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
My mom always made us Christmas PJ’s that we got to open on Christmas eve. Does that count as a present?

How do you decorate your Christmas tree?
This year we are going for shatterproof chic. I call it the Walgreen’s special.

Snow! Love it or dread it?
Both. I love watching snow. I love playing in snow. I don’t’ even mind driving in it…if I’m the only person on the road.

Can you ice skate?
It’s been a while, but I could the last time I tried.

Do you remember your favorite gift?

My boom box (the 80’s). That was when bigger was better. My iPod Shuffle is smaller than one of the batteries that the monstrosity sucked down like water.

What's the most important thing about the holidays for you?

Spending time with family

What is your favorite holiday dessert?

Baklava. Oh Aunt Bubbles…

What is your favorite tradition?

When we were kids, my mom would make my brother, sister and I sit on the steps while “Santa” turned on the lights. We would all squish together as close as we could and wait for the go ahead. It only lasted a moment, but it was our chance to connect before the chaos began.

Which do you prefer, giving or receiving?

Giving.

What is your favorite Christmas Song?

O Holy night, preferably sung by my brother.

Candy canes! Yuck or yum?

They start out Yum, but quickly turn to yuck. And, I never learn.

Ever recycled a Christmas present?

Nope.

1 comment:

LauraC said...

I hate candy canes too, in fact anything with peppermint. I buy the cherry flavored candy canes every year. Yummo.

My fave xmas treat = buckeyes! Which I am making this week!