Friday, December 5, 2008

Week in Review

Monday

Michael had swim class on Monday morning. After class, my mom decided to stay at the community center for the open swim. Michael had a blast. Michael didn’t get to nap until 2:00, and I woke him up at 3:00. By 5:30 he was so tired/wired that he was slap happy. I was the one getting slapped.

Tuesday

Michael had music class at the community center. Michael had a blast. He also didn’t take a nap. By 5:00 he was slap happy. At 6:15 he climbed on my head, grabbed my hair, and tried to “ride me like a horsey.” Michael was in bed by 6:35.

Wednesday

It was a much better day on the sleep front. There were no classes and he a nice long nap. Michael was very energized when he got home.

My mom found a video about dinosaur digs at a thrift store. It’s actually a travel video about different dinosaur attractions in the US. It has lots of dinosaurs and several songs, including Big Bad Rex. Michael loves to watch the video. Over, and over, and over again. When my mom dropped Michael off, she brought the video with her. I was not happy. Halfway through the second viewing of the video, our power went off. Then, I was really unhappy. “I want BIG BAD REX, I WANT BIG BAD REX,” was shouted as a mantra throughout the house.

Have you ever tried to explain a power outage to a 2.5 year old? Well, I have. After about 20 minutes of it, Andy and I decided to go someplace with power so I could stop saying, “We can’t watch Big Bad Rex because there is no power in the TV. And no, I can’t turn the lights back on. They need power too.”

Thursday

Michael was in a great mood when he got home. M was out with her mommy, so they played for a few minutes until it started to rain. We had to take Michael in. As soon as he settled down, he looked at the blank TV and demanded that the TV needed power. Hey, my explanation worked! Who would have guessed?

Andy and I have both been trying to eat healthy and lose weight, but last night I decided I needed a break so I ran to McDonalds. I got Michael his usual Mickey D’s treat, a milkshake and french fries. Andy got Chicken McNuggets. As we were eating, Andy offered one to Michael and got the normal refusal. However, I decided to try a different approach.

“Oh, Michael, you can’t have that. No Chicken McNuggets for you. I’m sure you wouldn’t like it anyway.” He snatched that McNugget away from Andy so fast I could hardly see his hand move. Before I knew it, he was taking a bite out of it. Then another, and another. He finally grinned and popped the last bite in his mouth like it was the most delicious thing he had ever eaten. I’m thrilled that he finally tried something with meat, other than a hot dog. But it would have been better if he had done it for a reason other than disobeying me.

After dinner, we had another first. Michael and I went downstairs to play with “his” billiard balls. Not long after we got down there, he decided he needed some private time so he headed for the closet. (We have Michael’s 2.5 year appointment today. I’m going to ask the pediatrician about how to potty train a child that insists on pooping in the closet.) When he was finished, we headed upstairs to change his diaper.

This is were the strange part happened – ok, pooping in the closet is strange, but it’s not a first. Michael wanted to go back downstairs, so Andy went down with him. Normally, Michael will insist that I come down too or he won’t go. But, last night he happily went down with just Andy. He called my name once, but kept going when I didn’t follow.

They played down there for at least half an hour. I didn’t know what to do with myself. Part of me wanted to head down and play with him anyway, but the other part of me wanted to plop on the sofa and read for a few minutes. It felt so odd sitting there reading while those two played in another part of the house. I’m used to that while I’m cooking dinner, but Michael normally comes into the kitchen every so often just to check on me. Not last night. After a few minutes of reading, I put down the book and closed my eyes for a quick snooze. Ah, did that feel nice. I felt so energized when they came back up.

It’s a good thing too. Michael decided that I was a puppy dog and made me sit in the living room while he kept running into the kitchen to get me imaginary doggy bones. He would bring me big bones and little bones, and finally brought me some huge dinosaur bones. After feeding me for several minutes, we switched off and he was the puppy. He sat on the floor; panting, barking and eating my imaginary bones. It was terribly sweet, especially after a week of slap happy toddler abuse and a power outage.

When bedtime rolled around, I helped him get in his warm, fuzzy PJ’s. He snuggled on my lap and I read to him about Tyrannosaurus Rexes and Triceratops. He settled back against my body and closed his eyes while I sang to him. Finally, I tucked him in with his plastic Big Bad Rex and a dinosaur book and kissed him good night. He murmured “I love you” as I left the room.

4 comments:

LauraC said...

Seriously life is so busy with kids but SO NOT BORING. I think I might die if we had a power outage. Oh wait, no I wouldn't bc we have a video ipod and batteries for our portable DVD players :)

Jon and I often switch off on weekends with the kids, where he'll take them to Planet Child while I stay at home to get stuff done. Sometimes instead of getting stuff done, I lay in bed and read Us Weekly, then when I hear the garage door open, I rush around trying to look like I was frantically doing stuff.

But it is good for the boys to have some alone time with the dad and realize that not everything is together as a family. although with working outside the house, I feel like I want every minute with the boys that I can get.

Kaycee said...

Aww..that sounds so sweet :)

Hilarious about the Mcnugget! CAmi is the same way. I'll thinkshe is going to hate something, but as soon as we eat it for ourselves she will gobble it up!!

Maria said...

It sounds like a great end to your week. I love the spontaneous I love you.

alisha said...

Interesting. I agree with you totally. Furthermore I have another point to add. I think its essential that children today have a friendly and good swim instructor to guide them along. So that they will take to the hobby with delight, rather than find it a useless skill. But then again, most kids always love swimming afterall.