Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The good thing about bad days…

…Is that they can get better.

By the end of my work day yesterday, I was pretty annoyed with just about everything. I actually left a meeting early because I was afraid the endless stream of “I don’t care, I don’t care, I don’t care” that was going through my mind, would start coming out of my mouth. Then, on my way home, I made the mistake of stopping at the grocery store to pick up milk. The express line was a comedy of errors that had everyone but me laughing.* I got home a few minutes before Andy and took advantage of the time to get changed and have a few sips of soda before they pulled up.

Mr. No Nap was so tired, that he crashed on the 10 minute ride home. I watched as Andy gently unhooked Michael from his car seat, and tried to carry him in without waking him. Michael had his cute little pink check nestled on Andy’s shoulder. And all of the stress of the day just drained from my body.

With the skipped naps and the general two-year-oldness, Michael has been a bit of a handful lately. He’s trying to bite, he disagrees with everything just for fun, and he has random meltdowns over things that I can’t even figure out. But, he has also been extra sweet and funny too. Last night I decided to avoid the battles, and let him run around during dinner, and the reward was watching him bring a truck in and run it across the edge of the table while Andy and I ate. It was cute watching him move the salt and pepper and random “stuff” we have on the table so his truck could get by.

We were a little concerned when he disappeared and all we heard was silence for a few minutes. When I went to check on him, I expected to see him eating my curtains or shoving a dinosaur down a vent, but I was surprised to find him sitting on the sofa drawing on his Mangadoodle. When I peeked in, he saw me and said, “come sit down mommy” and patted the seat next to him.

He was like that the entire evening. We played dinosaurs and took pretend naps snuggled together. He let me steal lots of hugs and kisses, and only did minimal damage with his dinosaurs. He was even agreeable when it was time to get him ready for bed.

Michael was just the thing I needed to make my day a good one.


*Note to people who are responsible for staffing express lanes. Please put your best employees, not your worst ones on the express lane. If you don’t, there will be nothing express about the lane.

3 comments:

LauraC said...

Two = terrible and tender. I'm telling you, the best title I've ever heard to sum up this year.

That is why I love the video of the boys giving each other massages. I've only got a 1 in 4 chance of both boys being tender at the same time :)

Totally unrelated, but please tell me you appreciate the nerdiness of this:

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/01/13/zelda-map-in-crossst.html

Mel said...

I agree with Laura on the terrible and tender. And the tender moments more than make up for the terrible ones. LOL about the express lanes. That I also agree with!

London said...

That's funny, I was going to say that they only good thing about bad days is that at some point you know they can't get any worse!