Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year's Resolutions

I'm not a big fan of New Year's Resolutions. My philosophy is that if you need to make a change, you should just do it. There's no need to wait until January First. Dive right in.

In the fall of 2007, I had a health assessment sponsored by mom company. The good news was that my blood pressure was good. The bad news was that my weight had crept up after Michael weaned. I had crossed out of the healthy BMI range into the overweight range. Ouch. My cholesterol levels weren't too hot either.

By the end of December 2007 I had to come to terms with the fact that I had known I needed to make changes for several months, but I didn't do anything about it. I still think my philosophy is sound in theory. In practice...not so much. So, I decided to make my first New Year's Resolution. In 2008, I would exercise more and eat better so that I could improve my health. The results are in.

In 2008, I lost 15.4 pounds. I reduced my BMI from 26.3 to 23.9. I'm back in the healthy range. I exercised for 209 days out of the 365, and that doesn't include chasing Michael through the park. By December, I had worked up to 60 minutes of exercise a day, 4-5 days a week. While my total cholesterol number is still high, it's because I raised my HLD levels from 41 to 69. I have to say, I 'm pretty proud of myself.

However, I'm still not down to my goal weight. I have about 12 more pounds to go. So, that is my resolution for 2009.

3 comments:

London said...

Good luck!!!

LauraC said...

That is EXACTLY why I never did resolutions. Why wait?

And WOO HOO on losing 15 lbs. That is freaking awesome. I miss the BBC weight loss support thread!

JenFen said...

Congrats! That is a major accomplishment. Good luck with those last few pounds but in the end remember a healthy BMI is the best goal. : )