Monday, February 23, 2009

The Nap Whisperer

As you know, Michael dropped his nap back around the holidays. We tried several different tricks, but it became clear that he did not need a nap. He was good with it, but I missed my weekend naps, and it also makes for a long day for my mom. Two Saturdays ago, Michael proved he didn’t need a nap by staying awake until 4:00 in the afternoon, then remaining awake for a 45 minute car ride. Fine. I get it. The nap is gone.


Then, last Monday it was like someone flipped a switch again. In the afternoon, he asked my mom for something from the kitchen, and when she came back, he was out cold on the sofa. He was still zonked when I picked him up. In fact, he was so out of it, that I was able to trim his nails, get him dressed, and carry him down to my car without him waking. This was a child that needed a nap.


Andy stayed home with Michael on Thursday. He said that by noon, it was clear that Michael needed a nap. Of course, Michael didn’t want to take a nap, but he didn’t realize just how persistent his daddy can be. (We are never surprised by how persistent Michael is. He got a double dose of it.) Andy turned off all the lights and had Michael lay down on the sofa. Then, he read to him and told him some dinosaur stories. After an hour, Michael finally zonked out. He slept for three hours.


On Friday, Michael looked like he needed a nap, but my mom didn’t really push it. Instead, Michael waited until I picked him up and crashed in the car. Once again, he was so out cold that I was able to carry him in without waking him up. I plopped him on the sofa, and he stayed there while Andy and I went about our business.

To me, this is a sign that Michael is back to needing naps. I don’t think it’s just wishful thinking on my part. Both days this weekend, Michael had that tired look by lunch time. Both days I left the room and Andy worked his magic. I sat in the dinning room reading and listening as father and son quietly conversed. Eventually, Michael would go silent and Andy would sneak out of the room.


I’m so impressed at what Andy was able to do. He pulled off naps where both my mom and I have failed. Andy is now the nap whisper.


I wanted to shout hallelujah, but I was afraid I would wake up Michael. Instead, I did what any sane mother would do. I went and took a nap too.

8 comments:

Mel said...

Congrats! I, too, take a nap on the rare opportunity that both of mine are asleep at the same time! Analese still takes her nap and I try to get Mariele to overlap with hers also.

Maria said...

Wow! I'd say Andy is definitely a keeper. Anyone who can get naps back after they had been long gone gets my vote.

LauraC said...

You know, I've only napped once or twice while the boys nap. It's my chance to watch my tv shows without them yelling for Dora.

Plus I hate eating lunch at 11:30 when they eat lunch.

YAY for naps!

Karen said...

I love to take a nap while my Michael takes his too. I wish Todd could become the nap whisperer here also!!

Steph said...

Can Andy come over and help Cooper start taking naps again?? :)

Deanna said...

Yay for Andy! Yay for naps! You know what? I'm glad Michael still needs his naps. I've been thinking, "Oh no! If Michael gave up his naps, then Kelton will too at that age! I need my nap!!!"

We had the whole should-we-get-rid-of-the-bottle conversation this weekend...again. Yeah...Kelton got his bedtime bottle and then got one when he woke up this morning. Dang it...just can't bring ourselves to let go of them! So, now I"m wondering if it's a matter of us stopping HIS bottle habit or stopping OUR bottle habit?

Anyhoo, I'm raising a nice big warm bottle of milk to you in celebration of the nap whisperer!

London said...

Can I borrow your nap whisperer? Batman only naps three times a week and that's only if I can wear him out enough. And even when he doesn't nap, he still doesn't go to sleep until 10!

Julie said...

Ah, the wonderful nap! Lana is at a stage where she is fine with or without the nap. I keep giving her the nap even though she stays up late at night b/c I NEED THE NAP! I will cry when its gone.

Andy rocks!