Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Difference Between Moms and Dads

We are still having problems with Michael’s napping. He clearly doesn’t need a nap everyday, but there are a good number of days when it’s clear he would benefit from one. But, he won’t do it. You can lead a child to a bed, but you can’t make him sleep.


Yesterday, my mom took him to the zoo and he ran around for several hours. She was hoping that he would fall asleep on the way back to her apartment, but he didn’t. Once they got home, she could tell he needed a nap, and she spent an hour trying to get him to sleep with no luck. When it was time to bring him home, she placed him in the car and he was out like a light.

When I went out to get him, he was zonked. I picked him up and he was limp in my arms. I spoke to my mom for about 5 minutes with my mouth right next to his ear. Nothing. I finally carried him into the living room and propped him on the sofa.


Even though this screws up bedtime, I love when he sleeps so soundly. I love listening to him breathe. He has a mild cold, so yesterday he had this sweet little snore. It’s like music to my ears. His cheeks get pink and his face relaxes and it’s like he’s a little baby all over again. Because he’s a little stuffy, he had his mouth opened slightly and I watched, captivated, while a little bubble formed between his lips and pulsed in and out with his breathing. Watching him sleep reminds me of just how tender and sweet he can be.


I decided to let him sleep for a little while. He was clearly exhausted and needed the sleep.


After dinner, I was in the kitchen cleaning things up a little (okay, I was eating a Cadbury mini egg) when Andy called in from the living room.


“Do we have any blank tapes for the video camera?”


“I don’t think so.” I said. “Why?”


“I was thinking of getting some shaving cream to put on his hand, and I wanted to catch it on tape to send into America’s Funniest Home Videos.”


And that’s the difference between mom’s and dads.

6 comments:

LauraC said...

I would have done what Andy did. We've got some spectacular videos of the kids that I haven't shared online!

Have you thought about quiet time in his room with some books? No requirement to nap. Alex will sometimes play in his room at naptime for an hour before he decides he may as well take a nap, it's so boring in there.

Lindsay said...

LOL!

I was also going to recommend quiet time. We often leave JTC in his room on a weekend afternoon for 1.5 - 2hours! He almost never falls asleep, but he just plays in his bed. (And yes, I realize we are insanely lucky that he stays in his bed.)

Joanna said...

We have thought about it...but we haven't figured out how to get him in there without mass hysteria ensuing.

Mama Mia said...

That is super funny....I still LOVE tow atch B sleep!

Julie said...

Your husband is hilarious!

Steph said...

Too funny. I am sure it is something Ben would think of that I would shoot down immediately! :)

Cooper is trying to drop his nap too. I also know he would definitely benefit from a nap, but he's stubborn to the max. I have also done a quiet time in his room, but he easily pops up and calls out for either me or Ben so it's not exactly restful for him (or us). One time I was so tired of the push/pull with him on the napping that I let him sit on our bed and watch his favorite movie (Cars), and wouldn't you know, 15 minutes in and he was sound asleep? I would not recommend the 'lull him to sleep with a movie' approach, but it was such a relief that he was asleep at that point!