Thursday, March 5, 2009

Dinosaur Museum

Even though I live near a city, I'm really not a city girl. I much prefer hiking in the woods to the amazing social scene in Philadelphia. However, there are some advantages to living so close to the city. One of them is that we can take spontaneous trips to the museums in the city.

Michael has been dying to visit the dinosaur museum for months. He sees the one on Curious George all the time, and thinks it's the coolest thing in the world. We have been planning to take him, but the weather has been rough this winter. Saturday turned out to be pretty nice, so we decided to give it a try. We threw on some clothes, loaded up the car, and headed off to the Academy of Natural Sciences.

Michael had a great time. He loved the dinosaurs. He also really enjoyed some of the hands on aspects of the museum as well.

Here he is digging for fossils. It was a little hard for him, but it was still fun.

Photobucket

Here his is playing in the sand with a little girl that he managed to charm.

Photobucket

I really hope it was okay for him to climb on this turtle. It was outside the kid's hands on center so I thought it was ok.

Photobucket

He's a huge T Rex fan, so touching one was really exciting for him.

Photobucket

The only thing better than touching it was actually going into the skull. We must have returned to this display 20 times while we were there. I'm pretty sure this is Michael's idea of heaven.

Photobucket

I couldn't let Michael have all the fun.

Photobucket

I will say that the experience was not exactly what I expected it to be. I was expecting Michael to stand there in awe of the massive dinosaurs. What I got was an overly enthusiastic child that ran from display to display like a maniac. The dinosaur exhibit is two stories with a staircase in the middle. We went up and down those stairs more times than I can count. Michael loved it. Me, not so much.

Here's how I spent the entire trip. Pose for a moment...

Photobucket

Michael would see something that interested him...

Photobucket

Michael would fight to get down...

Photobucket

Michael would get down and then he was off...with me trying to keep up.
Photobucket

After two hours of wrestling with him, I pretty much felt like this

Photobucket

All in all, it was a good trip. Andy and I were exhausted by the time we left, but it was worth it. Michael had a blast.

However, to add insult to injury, when Andy was reviewing the pictures from the trip I heard him snickering. I glanced over to see what was so amusing and he was looking at this.

Photobucket

I asked him what was so funny about a dinosaur skull.

He zoomed in on this...

Photobucket

Jerk.

7 comments:

LauraC said...

This is hilarious! We have a family pass to the Science Museum and the boys ALWAYS run from thing to thing. You would be extremely impressed to know Jon and I can do it solo... we make them hold hands running from place to place. But it's a guaranteed work out to go to a museum.

LOVE the frantic face!

Steph said...

That wildly enthusiastic running from place to place sounds like Cooper when we visit any museum with animals, I cannot imagine if there were one with just dinosaurs. I have not been brave enough to take him to the Boston Children's Musuem, but I will be bringing him soon.

That last picture is hilarious!

Karla said...

Looks like fun!! I can tell Michael loved it and you were exhausted! :)

Mel said...

LOL at that last pic! A DH WOULD notice that detail! Michael will probably remember that fun day for quite awhile! Oh, and I love to see the baby pics of Michael in your previous post - so cute!

Karen said...

I knew exactly what Andy was laughing about in the last picture. Guess I think like a man or know how husbands think too well. Todd would zoom in on the same detail.

JenFen said...

The commentary and accompanying pics at the end were priceless and hilarious but I love the fact that Michael is so enthusiastic about something specific at such a young age and I love, love, love the pic of him in the dinosaur skull. That is too cool.

Julie said...

You are so funny! I LOL at all of your posts.