Friday, March 6, 2009

The Perfect Candy

I'm not a big chocolate person, in fact I'll take caramel over chocolate any day. When I do eat chocolate, I love Lindt and Ghirardelli. "Cheap" candy like Hershey's and M&Ms have never really been my thing.

But let me just tell you, now that I'm a mom, I love M&Ms. I rarely even eat them, yet I make sure we always have some in the house. Before I go shopping each week I check on milk, toilet paper, and M&Ms because of the potential consequences of running out of any of them. They are the perfect candy.

I think the main thing that I love about them is just how powerful a bribe they are. OK, I know I shouldn't rely on bribes, but sometimes I just don't feel like battling a child with a poopy diaper. Really, what would you rather do, chase a small stinky child around with threats of time-out or offer a few small pieces of candy to buy compliance? If I'm up to it, I'll do the chase, but some days I just don't have it in me.

In addition to the bribe factor, I love the size of M&M's. Just a few M&M's can satisfy the candy desire of a small child without ruining dinner or adding lots of junk into his already questionable diet. Sometimes I can't help but pat myself on the back for successfully bribing Michael with just a few measly M&Ms. Seriously kid, you should hold out for a Hershey's Kiss or two.

And the best thing about M&Ms? The low mess factor. Granted, they aren't mess free, but anything that only looks like this after spending 20 minutes in the hot, sweaty palm of a toddler works for me.


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Can you imagine what he, and my carpet, would look like if I had given him Hershey's Kisses?

8 comments:

London said...

Hey, Elijah has that very same shirt! Does he have plaid fleece pants that go with it? I love M&M's too, though I'm not big into chocolate. I prefer them frozen, and I really miss the mint chocolate crisp ones that were out last summer. Oh and Elijah was potty trained completely by bribing with M&M's.

London said...

See...

http://www.matthewandcacey.com/2009/01/were-still-here.html

Joanna said...

Yes, they have plaid pants. I love them!

LauraC said...

I'm such a mean mom. I never let the boys have chocolate near carpet. Then again, I am a nice mom and let my boys eat chocolate fairly frequently.

Mama Mia said...

As I was reading, I grabbed myself a handful of M &M's
Oh I need to tell London that I saw mint M&M's..perhaps I should purchase them and send them to her...

Jolene said...

I thought M&Ms were supposed to melt in your mouth and not in your hand? lol

Beth said...

Sadly, William will never know the joy of M&Ms! (Peanut allergy) Thank goodness he loves Lifesavers and Dum Dum lollipops. LOL. And I'm happy to have a reason to keep them out of my house. William probably wouldn't get any anyway because I'd eat them all!

Julie said...

We love M&Ms too for many of the same reasons. Lana prefers the yellow and brown ones, so now we have a bag of orange, red, blue and green ones.