Monday, March 16, 2009

Snippets of Insanity

That’s how I’m going to describe my weekend. Overall, it was a nice weekend, but things sure do get crazy fast when you have an almost three year old.


I did not have a good day at work on Friday. It happens sometimes and normally it’s not a big deal. But, I pick Michael up on Fridays. He was in a good mood when I got there. In fact, you could probably call it a playful mood. It was cute while I sat down and chatted with my mom for a few minutes, but not so cute once it was time to leave.


For a purpose driven adult, to get from my mom’s apartment to my car, one walks down a hall, rides down an elevator, and then walks a short distance to the parking lot. On Friday, Michael’s trip involved going limp and laying on the hall floor, a side trip into the trash chute room, running passed the elevator to the laundry room, missing the elevator when it arrived at our floor, having mommy pick him up and carry him screaming to the elevator, mommy fighting him into the car seat, and finally smacking mommy in the face.

He managed to push me right up to my limit. Then, he stopped. Once we got home he was cute and cuddly and sweet as can be.


Saturday morning Andy accidentally surfed past the Spanish channel while the Go Diego Dinosaur Rescue was on. We spent the next 20 minutes watching Go Diego in Spanish, and then the following 20 minutes explaining that Diego was over. We finally convinced Michael to go for a walk in the park by telling him we would go buy Diego after the park.


The park was nice, but buying Diego was not. We could have driven over to Best Buy, but in order to save time, we went to the Malmartz instead because it was closer. We will not do that again.


As we are approaching the store, a white VW came barreling through the crosswalk that several people were about to enter. I silently cursed the driver in my head like most polite people do. The big dude in the camouflage jacket, on the other hand, cleared his throat and launched a big wad of spit onto the side of the car. OH MY GOD! It was disgusting. I was appalled. That kind of thing just does not happen at Target. (I was also secretly overjoyed, that driver really did deserve that.)

The only thing worse than going to Wallyworld to buy Diego, was coming home with Diego. Why do almost three year olds need to watch the same thing over and over and over again? Is the Great Baby Jaguar Rescue so good it must be watched 5 times? I don’t get it. I also don’t understand why Diego is so freaking screechy.

After watching Diego for way too long, my eye was finally starting to twitch. Andy couldn’t take it anymore either, so we just turned the damn thing off. Michael retaliated by screaming. That did wonders for the eye twitch. I was just about to reach that point again, when Michael perked up and got cute again.


He started chasing me around the house. We do this a lot, and it’s a lot of fun. Michael was playing T Rex, and wanted to catch me and get me. Being twice as tall as he is, I do have somewhat of an advantage. I thought I was getting too far ahead of him when he yelled for me to slow down. I stopped short to give him a chance to catch me. He was closer than I thought, so instead of catching me, he ran face first into my butt. I had to hide the fact that I was laughing at him while I tried to comfort him.


The entire weekend was like this. Crazy stubborn behavior that resulted in tears and screaming one minute, and then sweet and funny behavior the next. It’s like living with a little Dr Jekyll and Mrs. Hyde. I know this is “normal” behavior for a child this age, but it doesn’t mean it’s not exhausting and frustrating. Any time I feel like I can let my guard down and relax, WHAM, the loony kicks back in.


It’s a good thing that Loony is so darn cute.

5 comments:

LauraC said...

Sorry to hear about the crazy crazy weekend. If it makes you feel any better, that's what Alex was like all weekend. Nate pretty much just sat on the potty or watched tv.

And hey, I know a good trick for getting toddlers uninterested in a tv show. Don't watch it with them. They'll watch forever if you sit with them, but when I am suddenly busy doing my own thing, they don't want to watch their tv show.

See, I'm learning to play them!!

London said...

This crazy "normal toddler behavior" that you speak of is the reason why my husband oftend finds me sitting in the corner crying after a long day at home with the kid, lol.

Mama Mia said...

Sorry about the crazies...and Diego...

Mel said...

I hear ya on the normal but crazy behavior! I once considered myself a very patient person, but A can really push my limits! Oh, and she LOVES Diego too. She says "Diego is really cute, mommy!" Her first crush on a cartoon character LOL!

DesiDVM said...

J LOVES Diego, and to a lesser degree, Dora. But the screechiness really really really gets to me. So the one DVD we absolutely will not buy? Dora or Diego. Because we already have to watch Wow Wow Wubbzy and Ni-hao Kai-Lan and (God help us) Elmo a billion times a week, thanks to various bribes involving buying his favorite shows on DVD. We had to draw the line somewhere, and that place is more than one viewing of Diego or Dora in a 24-hr period.