Tuesday, March 17, 2009

That's You Mommy

My sister scanned some of my dad's old photos and posted them to her Facebook account. As I was looking them over, I realized that when it comes to looks, my mom's genes overruled my dad's. My sister looks just like my mom and I look just like my mom's mom.

I never met my mom's my, but I grew up being told that I look just like her. Pretty much anyone who had ever meet her would comment on how much I looked like her, except for my grandfather. I don't know why he was so opposed to the idea that I might look like his wife. Maybe it was because she was his wife and what he saw in her was so much more than just her looks. Maybe it was because I never lived up to his "ideal" notion of a respectful little granddaughter. How knows.

Well, a few weeks ago, the question was accidentally put to the test. My mom has scanned in a number of her old pictures and she has them on slide show on her screen saver. When I came to pick up Michael, this picture popped up on the screen.

Photobucket

It's my grandmother's graduation photo. As soon as Michael saw the picture he happily exclaimed "Mommy"! Now there is an unbiased opinion if I've ever heard one. He had no idea that it wasn't a picture of me.

I wish I had a better picture of myself to show you. There is one from my college graduation that looks almost like my grandmother's picture. However, after searching the pictures on my hard drive at work, I discovered that most of the pictures of me either show the back of my head, or my butt. Here's the best comparison I could find. Just try and picture me about 20 years younger and without bangs.
Photobucket

I'm not sure if you can see it or not, but Michael sure can.

6 comments:

LauraC said...

That does look like you!

And hey here's a pic from your blog of yourself. I love this pic! ha ha!

http://joannasmommyblog.blogspot.com/2008/09/whos-blog-is-this-anyway.html

Zoey's Mommy said...

WOW!! Crazy how you look so alike!

Joanna said...

Laura - LOL!

Mel said...

I can see it. The bone structure in your face and the eyebrows for sure! Possibly the hair color also? Butt pictures LOL! Nobody probably ever took a pic of her butt so you could see THAT comparison!

Lindsay said...

I'm determined to see you smile, though. Maybe in NY?

Deanna said...

Yes, smile!! And I do think you really look like her.