Thursday, March 26, 2009

Too Dumb to Know any Better

Michael came home with cat scratches yesterday. It's not the first time, nor the second. It's not even the third time.

My mom has two cats. The first is Charlie. He is a great, big, orange Maine Coon cat. He's very sweat, very fuzzy, and afraid of everything, including his shadow. It used to bother me that he was so frightened of everything. However, now that he spends all day in the same apartment as Michael, I can see the benefits of his extreme caution. He avoids Michael by slinking around the edges of each room. As soon as Michael notices him, Charlie bolts out of the room.

Smart cat.

My mom's other cat is Morgan. Morgan is a tiny domestic shorthair. She's a, um, special kitty. She is blind and deaf on her left side, and there appears to be some slight cognitive impairment as well. For the most part, she is a very lovey cat. She loves sitting on laps and having her chin rubbed. She even stills acts very kittenish at times, which is very endearing. But, like I said, she seems to have some slight cognitive impairment.

Or, in other words, she's dumb. She doesn't like being manhandled by a rough toddler, and trust me, Michael manhandles her. But, she's too dumb to figure out that she should avoid him. I don't know how many times I've watched her walk right past him, or even come over and lay down next to him. You would think that eventually she would learn. But she doesn't.

I have a difficult time blaming her for scratching Michael. If I were a cat, and he treated me the way he treats Morgan, I'd scratch him too. And like I said, she is a special kitty. I don't think it's fair to ask more of her than she is capable.

Michael, on the other hand, should have caught on by know. My mom has been very active in trying to teach him to be nice to Mogran. She encourages good behavior, he goes on his bench for bad behavior. She has tried restricting to the living room. He won't leave the poor cat alone. The first time he got scratched, I'm sure it was a surprise. But, the second time, he should have started getting the clue. After getting his fourth scratch yesterday, I'm starting to think he's just too dumb to know better.

Between the two of them, I'm running out of ideas.

3 comments:

Zoey's Mommy said...

LOL at the "special kitty" comment!!

Beth said...

I don't know who to feel more sorry for--Michael or the cat! We have a big manx (Clark) who is very surly with anyone other than Ed and me. We had no idea how he would be with the kids, but he has shown more restraint and patience than I ever thought possible! Sometimes I get the feeling that he may even like William! LOL. I'm still waiting for the moment when he feels like William is old enough to know better, and lets him have it. That may never happen, though, as Clark is all bark and no bite! (Or meow, as the case may be.)I hope Michael and Morgan can work out a mutually agreeable relationship!

Karen said...

We used to have a cat before Michael was born but now MIL has her. Michael loves the cat and also loves to pull the tail. I can only imagine what would happen if she was still here.