Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Best Unintentional April Fools Prank Ever

I'm sure every mom out there knows just how hard being a mom can be. You work 24/7. The house is always a mess, errands always need to be run, dinner always needs to be cooked. You never get enough down time. It can be very stressful.

It's been even harder on me lately because in addition to the normal stuff, I've also been exercising 5 times a week trying to get my weight down. That extra hour a day really cuts into my already busy schedule. I've taken to doing small 15 minutes cleaning projects each night just to try and catch up.

The good thing about exercising is that it has worked. I've lost enough weight that I'm now trimmer than I've been in many years. At this point, my wedding dress would be too big for me to wear. I'm thrilled.

The bad part is that I got rid of any pants that would actually fit about 10 years ago. I've been wearing the same three pairs of pants for the past two weeks, and one of those is now big enough that I'm afraid they may fall off at work. Clearly, it's time to buy some new pants.

I received a 15% off coupon for Kohl's over the weekend and decided that I would take last night off from exercising and go shopping. I was so excited. A night off AND shopping, what a treat.

At 12:30 yesterday my sister called me at work. We normally email, so I was a little surprised to see her number come up on caller id. The first thing out of her mouth was, "Mom called me. It's nothing serious."

That's never good.

My sister proceeded to explain that my mom had called her from the Natural History Museum in Wilmington, DE. My mom would have called me except that she forgot her cell phone and couldn't afford to make a long distance call. My sister works in Delaware, so she called her instead. In addition to having my sister tell me that they were at the museum, she wanted her to tell me to expect them home around 7:00 pm.

So let me spell this out a little. My mom, on a whim, decided to take my son to a museum in another state. Not only did she fail to ask me if this was OK first, she also didn't take her cell phone with her. She drove from the top right red circle to the bottom left red circle, across state lines, in a ten year old car, WITHOUT HER CELL PHONE! If anything had happened, I would have no idea where they where because she didn't tell me!

Photobucket

And what's this with not getting home until 7:00? That's an hour past Michael's bedtime! It meant one of two things. I either wouldn't get to spend ANY time with him or he would fall asleep on the ride home and be WIDE AWAKE at 7:00 pm. This is not acceptable.

And then it hit me, my shopping trip was toast.

Photobucket
This is one of the short books I purchased last week. It really resonated with me for some reason.

Add in a little PMS, and I wasn't just mad, I was fuming. I was so livid that I actually had trouble focusing on my work. I had been stewing for over 2 hours by the time I left work, so I was pretty worked up by that point. Well, it was raining and my drive was a nightmare. I had an hour of rough traffic to ruminate over just how irresponsible my mom was.

How dare she? She has no right to decide on a whim to take MY child out of state. With no cell phone! In an Old car! IN THE RAIN! Grr...Arg...%@*&!!!!! ALL I WANTED WAS ONE %^#@ING NIGHT OFF!!!! WAH!!!! I was tantruming to rival Michael's best fit. I was FURIOUS!!!!!

Finally, after my tense ride home I pull into my community. I rounded the corner to my house and there, in front of my house, was my mom's car.

What the...?

My anger quickly turned to confusion. I got out and talked to my mom and it turns out that it didn't take her nearly as long as she though. They had a nice time. Everything was good.

"Mom, are you joking me? Is this just an April Fools joke?"

At that, she laughed. "Oh, that would have been a good one."

I'm proud to say that I did not kill her right then and there.

Everything turned out fine. Michael had a great time, we had a pleasant evening, and then once he was in bed I got to do my shopping.

As for my mom, since I can't ground her, I've decided I'm going to print out some blank permission slips for her to use in the future.

4 comments:

London said...

LOL that's great. I would have reacted the same way, honestly.

Once while we were staying with my IL's for a weekend, Matthew and I went out on a date. We very rarely do this, and by the time we got back I was super anxious to see my baby. It was around 8:30 when we got back to their house and they were all gone! They had taken my child and not even bothered to tell me! I was so mad! Turns out, they had just taken him to Toys R Us to buy him a toy and returned home shortly after us.

Also, congrats on your weightloss!!!

LauraC said...

Well, when making a list of pros and cons in your childcare arrangement, this definitely goes on the CONS side.


My word is DOG ICK

awesome.

Kara said...

LOL! Permission slips would be hilarious!!

JenFen said...

But while that would have been a great April Fools Day prank, the real question remains; Did you find any cute clothes?