Friday, April 3, 2009

I Certainly Wasn't Expecting That

I just received a message from my mom asking me to give her a call. I'm never sure what to expect when she does that. My mom rarely makes phones calls, so I figured it must have been important.

When I returned her call, she put Michael on the phone and told him to tell me what he had done.

"Gram gave me M&Ms" he announced.

"Michael, why did Gram give you M&Ms" I asked.

"Because she opened them up!" That's not quite the answer I was looking for, however, technically it was correct.

My mom finally came on and informed me that Michael, completely unprompted, had asked her to help him get his pants off so he could go pee pee. She helped him and got his potty. He sat down and peed.

Holy cow! How did that happen? As of four days ago, he refused to even sit on the potty with his pants on. Two days ago he surprised me by walking into the bathroom, opening the lid to his potty, and then sitting on it fully clothed. That was a huge surprise. If you had told me this morning that Michael would use the potty today I would have laughed myself sick. I don't even know what to make of this.

It's not April Fools day, is it

9 comments:

Beth said...

Laura said it and every mom I know with experience has said it--when they're ready, potty training happens. William actually used the potty this morning when he woke up (which he normally doesn't do) and he wanted to wear underwear. But then he said he also wanted to wear his diaper. So I put the underwear over the diaper. That should be interesting for his daycare teachers! LOL.

Carole said...

YAY For MOM!!!
awesome job your doing! Congrats

carole
xoxo

LauraC said...

What this means is SPEND YOUR WEEKEND POTTY TRAINING! All the cool kids are doing it.

Seriously, if he wants to wear underwear, let him. Let him be in charge and it will be easy. Get into a battle of wills and I'll have to buy you many drinks.

Maria said...

Yeah! WOW, big steps he is taking. Congrats!

Jennifer said...

Yay! Sounds like he is ready...break out the cool underwear! Eli potty trained just because he wanted to pee standing up like daddy....whatever works!
Have a fun (and hopefully dry) weekend!

Karen said...

Based on our experience, when the time is right, it will be quick. I agree with Laura, let him wear underwear if he wants to. It's how we found out Michael was ready to train at night too!!

Zoey's Mommy said...

That's too awesome!

We tried for what seemed like FOREVER to potty train Zoey. I'm thinking it must have been close to a year. Finally one day she just decided she wanted to go pee on the potty and she's only worn diapers at night since then. She does fantastic! This happened almost 2 months ago.

Good job Michael!

JenFen said...

That is awesome. You should be so proud of Michael. I agree with everyone, when you let them take the lead potty training, while still one of my least favorite parts of parenting, is much, much easier. Good luck!

Melissa said...

Yay! That's such a happy time!It just seems like one day they suddenly become ready to use the potty and before that there is nothing you can do to make them do it!