Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Mission Completion

I've mentioned several times lately that Michael has been much more willing to try new foods than he has ever been before. The most exciting new food has been chicken. This means he can actually get protein from things other than milk or hot dogs. It was this development that made me feel pretty comfortable with having the Bottle Fairy come and take away Michael's bottles.

And you know what, I think I might have been right.

Last night, for the first time ever, Michael actually ate the meal that Andy and I were eating. I figured he would eat the corn, he's pretty good about veggies. The rice, was questionable, he's about 50/50 when it comes to rice. And as usual, I added some chicken, even though he has refused it over 100 times in the past.*

When I put the plate down in front of him, he asked for bread with butter. I've discovered that by placating his requests, he will often try what I serve him as well. It worked last night. After several bites, he reached for the plate. To my amazement, he started to shovel rice and corn into his mouth. I was doing my little mental happy dance over this. Wow! He was shoveling food into his mouth. Amazing.

After a little while, I decided to push my luck. "Aren't you going to eat your nuggets?" This had a huge potential to backfire because it wasn't really nuggets. If he took a bite and decided I had tricked him, it could take months to build up his trust again. Fortunately, he bought it. He ate all three tiny pieces I had served him and then started demanding - DEMANDING - more off of Andy's plate.

Sorry, I'm so excited I need to say that again. Michael demanded chicken off of Andy's plate.

I don't even know how to explain how wonderful this was. I've been serving him these foods for 2 years now and he finally ate them. I really wasn't sure this would ever happen. It gives me hope that someday he may eat some other foods, like eggs or fish or sandwiches.

Don't worry though. I know in about 10 years I'm going to be complaining about the fact that he's eating us out of house and home...but I'll deal with that went we get there.

*Yes, I'm that stubborn.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kids amaze me. Why some eat and some don't....I had eaters. I probably fed them baby cereal too early but they acted hungry. My boys eat just about everything we did. Glad yours is starting to eat though!! Or eat more...

Karla said...

Wow! That is fantastic Joanna! I hope Michael keeps it up for you! And glad all of you persistence paid off!

Stacey said...

That's great news. We had a similar experience on Monday night. Cole ate a whole plate of rice, veggies, and tofu. When he asked for more tofu I had to make sure there wasn't a hidden camera somewhere just trying to catch my reaction.

JenFen said...

That's great Joanna. First the bottle fairy successfully pays a visit and now he is eating new foods. Jake was SUCH a picky eater. He still is but now at least he eats certain foods very well but I recall between the ages of 2-3 supplementing with Pedisure because I was so worried about how little he was consuming so I know what a great feeling it is once they finally start eating for you. Congrats!

London said...

Hooray! I hope his eating streak continues.

We're quite the opposite around here. Batman has been eating us out of house and home since he was around 18 months, and he STILL has weight issues. You can't win, I swear. When I go grocery shopping half the stuff in the cart is for him!