Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Dinosaur Party. ROAR!

For Michael's first and second birthday we celebrated with family gatherings at my father in law's house. Our townhouse is somewhat small, so having the parties at his house allowed us to invite all of the extended family. It also meant very little work for me. However, this year Michael understands what a birthday party is and he has friends that he would like to share the day with. So, we decided to throw the party at our house.

I'm not much of a party planner, but at least for this party the theme was a pretty obvious choice. All I needed to do was look around at all of the dinosaurs in my living room for the inspiration. I checked out the party store and discovered that for a hefty sum of money I could go crazy with dinosaurs. But, that still left the cake and the activities. That's were my mom and Andy stepped in. I did a lot of the grunt work to make the party possible, but they brought in the creativity that made the party great!

Andy really wanted to do a dinosaur dig. We discussed doing it in the sand and water table, but the possibility of thunderstorms concerned us. Instead, we decided to go with a big plastic bin and 40 pounds of rice.

Photobucket

Michael is the one in the green dinosaur shirt. The young man on the left, in the yellow shirt looks enough like Michael that I often confuse the two when they are outside playing.


Photobucket


Yes, I allowed six children to play in 40 pounds of rice IN. MY. HOUSE! It was well worth the mess. The kids had a blast! I don't know how we even got them away from the rice bin. Andy really knows how to think like a kid.

After the dino dig, we played pin the skull on the T. Rex Skeleton. The kids were a little young to completely get the idea, so it was rather fun to watch.

Photobucket

The young man in the yellow shirt was the one kid who did get it. I can assure you that he didn't need Michael directing him, but that didn't stop Michael.


Photobucket

This young lady didn't need any help either...'cause she was smart and lifted the mask up so she could see. But, my little supervisor didn't seem to care. He'll boss anyone around, any time.

Finally, it was time for cake. This is were my mom stepped in.

Photobucket

She actually made the cake to match one of Michael's dinosaur shirts, but a certain person was a little too tired to wash said shirt for the party. I regret that now.

Photobucket

Michael didn't seem to mind. He enjoyed blowing out the candles and dug right into his slice of the cake.

I'll be honest, before the party started, I had decided that next year we would just go to Dinsey World instead of spending the money and energy on a party. By the end of the party I had completely changed my mind. It was so worth every ounce of effort that went into the party. I will never forget the joy on Michael's face as his friends showed up for his party, or the excitement that the kids displayed when we opened up the dinosaur dig.

I'd say the party was a roaring success.


6 comments:

Stacey said...

Wow, that looks like so much fun. Michael is a lucky kid!

Megan said...

Yeah! The cake is amazing! Nice to see some pictures of everyone having a blast! And the dinosaur dig is just amazing! So glad you were able to enjoy it all! Parties are effort but really worth it too. You had a good theme. All Seren wanted was a "red and yellow" party. Lame! :)

LauraC said...

OMG, I was laughing so hard at roaring success!

Yep, it was worth all the work to throw N&A that party. They talked about it for days before. Days after, still talking about it.

And then someone who came to the party stole the idea, wants to borrow my tables and do the same thing for a party this weekend?!?! LAME!

Melissa said...

Wow! That looks like an amazing birthday party! I can't believe you were brave enough to let all of those children play with that much rice in your house! So glad it turned out well. And that cake is awesome! Your mom did a wonderful job!

JenFen said...

Way to take a theme and run with it. Ilove the dino dig, love the cake, love the little hats and love that Michael and his guests had such a good time. Yes parties are a lot of hard work, but so very, very worth it.

Karen said...

Looks like a fun party! You really came up with some good ideas.