Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Hide and Seek

Michael recently discovered the game Hide and Seek and has started to insist that I play it with him all the time. I enjoy playing it with him, but I have to say, he doesn't quite get it yet.

Most of the time he wants it be It. He understands that he is supposed to stay still and count but be hasn't figured out the letting me hide part. He knows exactly where he wants me to hide, and he directs me there before heading down into the basement to count.

Normally he wants me to hide behind the end table in the living room. He grabs my hand and leads me over to the end table. Then, he pushes me until I walk behind the table. Obviously, I'm a bit taller than the table so he directs me to "hide your head and neck mommy." I get down on the floor and do my best to hide. It's about as effective as a professional wrestler hiding behind a sapling.

Once Michael has hidden me, he runs down into the basement to count. I have no idea what kind of counting is going on down there, but he leaves me enough time to get up and hide someplace else. At first, as long as I wasn't behind the table, I was pretty much hidden. The first time it took him about five minutes to find me. Of course, I was cleverly hidden at the dinning room table playing with my iPhone, so you can understand the challenge. (Bad mommy) Now, I have to get a little more creative and actually try to hide myself from view. He caught me hiding behind the shears pretty quickly, but ducking behind the dinning room table really threw him off. I believe it was my laughter that finally led him to me.

Sometimes, Michael actually let's me be It. I tell him to hide and then go down into the basement to count. According to Michael, I MUST count to 20, so I shout out each number as I listen to Michael run around upstairs. Andy normally helps Michael find a hiding place, but it really doesn't make much difference. The anticipation is too overwhelming, and Michael gives himself away before I can pretend to look other places for him. He giggles and runs right to me. He did manage to play it cool once when he picked his own hiding place. I came up the stairs to find him laying face down on the sofa with his eyes closed tight. I stifled my laugh as I pretended not to see him sprawled out on the sofa and went to check behind the end table. He had his eyes squeezed tight and a big grin on his face.

I love playing hide and seek.

5 comments:

LauraC said...

We've been playing hide and seek for a long time but recently is when the boys figured out they can hide. They do the same thing - hide on the couch face down.

Super special twin edition of hide and seek: Jon and I play chicken-fighing style, each running through the house with a boy on our shoulders.

LauraC said...

Btw, your grey hair comment on my blog today was THE BEST.

London said...

Hide and seek is very popular around here as well. Batman always says, "Here I come, or not!" Instead of "Ready or not, here I come!"

Karla said...

Thats too cute!!

Carrie77 said...

Nathan always gives himself away with giggles and runs to me, too! lol. Its still fun!