Wednesday, May 20, 2009

How to get your Geek On, 3 year old style

Tuesdays are my late day to work. I love coming home to see what the boys have gotten into. I also love that as soon as I open the door Michael runs to me, grabs my legs, and yells "Mommy, your home!"

That didn't happen yesterday. It was a bit too quiet when I opened the door and no one came to greet me. I took off my jacket and plopped my stuff by the door and then started to investigate. The TV was on in the living room. It appeared to be on the Disney channel, but a 'tween show was on. My guess is that Andy and Michael were watching Phineas and Ferb but abandoned the show before it was over. (Michael rarely lets Andy and I enjoy Phineas and Ferb, which cracks both of us up.)

I turned the TV off and listened for a moment. Silence is normally a bad thing, and that's all I heard. Time for some serious investigating to see what those guys were up to. I noticed the light to the basement was on, so I decided to head down and see just what exactly was going on.

Imagine my surprise when I get down there and discovered Andy and Michael watching a National Geographic show on paleontology. When Michael saw me, he ran over and instead of hugging my legs, he grabbed my hand and started to drag me over towards the TV. "Mommy look, LOOK! They are digging up dinosaurs!" As if he wasn't ecstatic enough watching people brush dirt away from dinosaur bones, they flashed up some CG dinosaurs. Michael started jumping up and down with joy. "Dinosaurs!"

Wait, what? I was expecting to find Andy and Michael playing in the rice bin, or to find that Michael had locked Andy in the Laundry room. Instead, what found was my three year old engrossed in an adult documentary about paleontology.

Andy has always worried that as Michael grows up he might pick playing soccer over playing baseball. I have a hunch he should be a little more concerned about Michael deciding he likes Star Trek over Star Wars.

5 comments:

Mel said...

Or he might be Ross from Friends!

Karla said...

LOL...he is quite the intelligent little guy!

Stacey said...

The Star Trek/Star Wars comment is hilarious! Geeky is good.

London said...

My vote goes to Star Wars...*ahem*

Or at least that's the consensus in my geeky household.

Missy said...

Being geeky is one of the highest compliments you can get in my family. I'm sure he'll be cool geeky though and love Star Wars.
Also I totally love Phineas and Ferb too.