Friday, May 8, 2009

The Longest Day Ever

Three years ago today was the longest day ever.

Michael was due on May 7th. Several days before his due date, I had a major contraction and started showing all of the signs of impending labor. I was sure I was going to go into labor at any moment, and didn't even think I would make it until the 7th.

I was wrong.

When I woke up on the 7th I discovered that all signs pointing towards labor had stopped completely. I was a bit disappointed. I was so excited to finally get to meet Michael and I was so sure that it would have happened by now, that the let down was huge. For that matter, so was my belly. I waited for something to happen all day long, but nothing. Not even a twinge.

I was disappointed on the 7th, but when I woke up on the 8th, I was beside myself with frustration. It was bad enough that I hadn't slept well in months, that my knees and back hurt, that I had a 10 pound baby bouncing on my bladder; but when I had to get up at 5:00 in the morning on the day AFTER my due date and log on TO WORK, I just cried. My dad called to see how I was doing, and I cried. My sister called to see how I was doing, and I cried. My boss IMed me and asked me how I was doing. Guess what? I cried. Honestly, I think I cried for the better part of the four hour day I worked.

I was able to calm down a little after I logged off for the day and went to beach myself on the sofa. I had been working on an afghan for Michael, but I kept making mistakes and would have to undo sections constantly. I decided I wasn't going to put the afghan down until it was done. In my mind, I had decided that the only reason I hadn't gone into labor already was because the stupid afghan wasn't done. (In my hormone induced pregnancy lunacy, that made perfect sense.) I worked on the afghan all day until it was done.

Around 7:00 pm I ran out to the grocery store to pick up a few little things. While I was shopping, I noticed a contraction, but based on the earlier one, I didn't take much stock in it. Instead, I finished my shopping then returned home to lay on my left side and drink some water. Nothing, the contraction in the store must have been a fluke.

Around 10:00 I gave up. I took my shower and crawled into bed. I made myself feel better by deciding that I would work in the morning, and then after my OB appointment I was just going to burn vacation time until I went into labor or was induced. I didn't know how I was going to make it through four more hours of work, but I would have to find a way. I was so defeated that I didn't even bother to dry my hair before bed, I mean it wasn't like anyone was going to see me with my wet bedhead or anything since I was NEVER going to go into labor.

At 11:32 I woke up. I automatically rolled myself out of bed and headed for the bathroom when I noticed that OMG my whole belly was balled up tight and radiating major pain throughout my body. My longest day ever ended with the very beginnings of my best day ever.

And...I had the worst wet bedhead ever...

3 comments:

Mel said...

Happy Birth Anniversary! So I guess Michael came after midnight sometimes?

Karla said...

You had to delivery with BEDHEAD?!?!? LMAO! I am guessing that was probably the least of your concerns!!! Happy anniversary to the longest day ever! (And almost Michael's birthday!)

Kaycee said...

Was he born on the 8th too???

Anyway Happy Birthday Michael! :) Hilarious as always Joanna. I can just picture you ticked not bc of labor but becaseu of wet bedhead LOL