Wednesday, June 24, 2009

I think he doth protest too much

Until the recent bedtime delaying tactics kicked in, Michael has been pretty reasonable about going to bed. That said, he's never been one to jump right into it either. You'll never see him grabbing Shirt and heading off to bed on his own. He's just not that kind of kid.

Or so I thought. On Monday evening, he must have been really tired. At one point during dinner he asked me if it was bedtime. I told him it wasn't, but that if he was tired I would put him to bed. "No, I'm not tired."

After dinner we moved into the living room to play and watch Here Come the 1,2,3s. I was going to be home with him on Tuesday, so I didn't want to rush him to bed in hopes that he might sleep in a little. As the DVD was coming to an end I told him that when it was over we would start getting ready for bed. "No, I don't want to go to bed."

When the DVD went off, Michael headed straight to his hiding place behind the end table. I rolled my eyes and sighed. I hate the bedtime stalling thing. I decided to push him to go to the potty so he couldn't use that as an additional stalling technique and I was surprised that he agreed. He immediately popped up and ran to the bathroom.

While he was going potty he told me again how he didn't want to go to bed and explained that he's afraid of monsters. However, when he was done, he let me get him cleaned up without running around the house naked for five minutes. Not only that, he even laid down so I could adjust his diaper. He was being so agreeable that I started putting his PJ's on while he was laying there. He kept telling me about not wanting to go to bed as he was holding his legs up for the PJs. As soon as they were on, he jumped up and ran to the steps. I hadn't even told him it was bedtime yet!

It was such a surprise that Andy didn't even know that he needed to come up and brush Michael's teeth. Michael continued to protest bedtime as he ran to climb up on my lap for stories. He asked me not to turn the lights off as he curled up against my chest and closed his eyes. He told me he didn't want to sleep in his crib while leaning towards it in my arms. His final denial occurred as he was rolling on his tummy and pulling his covers up around him.

His argument against being tired was pretty effective. Well, except for the part where he practically put himself to bed that is.

3 comments:

Mel said...

Why do they do that??? Analese gets so whiny when she is hungry. Right before lunchtime today I told her, "You are STARVED, Analese." To which she replied emphatically, "I'm not starved mommy. YOU are starved!" And then she proceeded to whoof down her meal Hee Hee!

Mama Mia said...

WOW very interesting....what time did he sleep till?

connie said...

That is such a cute story. The other night when I told kenzie it was time for bed she replied with mommy I am not tire ,I am sleepy!