Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Water Bill

One of Michael's favorite past times is playing with water. He loves to get baths, to play in the sand and water table, the pool, the ocean, you name it. If it's water, it's fun.

Recently, I've been letting him play with water in the kitchen sink. He pulls up his step stool while I get a bucket and turn on the water. He likes to dump his little dinosaurs in the bucket and then use cups and a funnel to do whatever it is he's doing. He really enjoys this and has spent a great deal of time doing it.

Well, I got the water bill the other day. He manged to run up an additional five dollars on our monthly bill this past month.

My first reaction was that I need to stop him. What a waste of five dollars. But then I thought a little more about it. What did I get for that five dollars? I got a lot. First, I got a happy kid. Second, I got to prepare at least 10 dinners without having Michael interrupt me. Third, I even got several chances to just sit down and chill while he was happily absorbed in his water play.

My friends, I call that a bargain.

P.S. If you are tempted to mention that I'm allowing Michael to waste water, please research the amount of rain the Philly area has been getting lately. We are so drenched that I have mushrooms growing all over my front lawn!

8 comments:

Mel said...

Def. a bargain! I'd pay way more than that to keep my kid occupied while I accomplish something around the house!

DesiDVM said...

We've had this same debate in our house, J loves to play in the sink "washing dishes" and just making a mess. Sometimes I feel bad b/c we're always in a drought here, so I just turn the water on really low and plug up the sink and keep checking until it's filled up.

LauraC said...

Since I used to be a waste water engineer, I won't go into objections bc I have made peace with how much environmental waste goes with kids.

Look at all the wasted marshmallows in our house!

Maria said...

Dude, i will send you an additional five bucks so you can have some more peace!

Stacey said...

Playing in the sink is Cole's new favorite game too! It's one of the few activities besides baseball or books that will entertain him for quite some time. We don't pay for water, and I'm imagining the environmental impact could be worse... Right?

Carrie77 said...

Nathan loves to play with the hose outside and I am not looking forward to my water bill either ;o)-

Julie said...

Between the hose outside and the bathroom sink for washing hands, face, arms, shirt, countertop and floor, we definitely are using some water resources for entertainment. When you said that you can even sit down and chill while Michael is playing--well my friend--SO totally worth the 5 bucks!

Karen said...

Our water bill went up this month but it was because of my "oldest kid"....Todd!