Friday, June 12, 2009

When I picked Michael up from my mom's yesterday he was in the classic overtired three year old mood. He was a little hyper, a little silly, and a little cranky. He was happy to see me when I got there, but he wasn't thrilled with the idea of going home. This lead to a string of weird behaviors; including hiding behind the sofa, pushing the cat, and - the oddest one - letting me put his shoes on.

My mom has been working with Michael on how to handle her cats. Morgan, the "special" kitty loves attention and loves to be around Michael when he's nice. But, Morgan also knows when to high tail it out of the room when he gets a little rough with her. Charlie, the mostly blind Maine Coon, is a big wuss and normally just avoids Michael at all costs. This means that Michael and Charlie haven't had much chance to interact and learn how to deal with one another.

I don't know why, but Charlie came out while Michael was still there yesterday. Charlie sat down by the door and laid his big, fluffy tail right in the walkway. It's really big and really fluffy and his gives it those little teasing flicks every few seconds. I had trouble avoiding the temptation to step on it, so it's not surprising that Michael couldn't resist. Fortunately for Charlie, Michael only stomped on the puff and not the actual tail, so it didn't hurt. But, it was a behavior that required correction.

"Michael did you just step on Charlie's tail?"

He said yes and broke out in the most elegant of evil genius laughs I've ever heard. My mom and I were both taken aback by what we had just heard. Where do kids pick this kind of thing up?

I started to explain why stepping on Charlie's tail was not nice as we headed out the door, but Michael was still in goof ball mode. He took off down the hall while still looking back at me to laugh. About 5 steps into his run he veered to the right and smacked right into the wall. He hit so hard that he bounced back and feel backwards onto the floor. I stepped over to him and paused for a second to make sure he was ok, then I cracked up laughing.

Hmm...I guess that's where he picks up this kind of thing. Oops.

5 comments:

JenFen said...

First of all I had a cat who did that with her tail. She was a little brat. Emphasis on the word HAD.

Second of all, I can only imagine you laughing at M as soon as you confirmed that he was okay. I wonder if his spill was karma for stepping on Charlie's tail?

Maria said...

I talk to the girls about karma all the time. In fact, the other day, maya was doing something mildly rotten to Lilly, and then promptly cracked her head on the door frame. Lilly, without missing a beat, said, "Maya, that's karma, you do something mean, and something bad happened to you. She didn't even check to see if she was okay before delivering the lecture...so funny.

My word verification is "demin" strange...

Beth said...

LOL! I don't know who's funnier--you or Michael!

Carrie77 said...

I am new to reading your blog but man you always crack me up :o) I am a BBC May06 mom too. I love todays post!! heheh!! Nathan is just starting to carry the cat around the house. He tries to pick up Autumn, but I tell him no on that one as he'd try to carry her the same way as he carries the cat -- which would not be good! lol!

Kara said...

Lol! Classic!