Monday, July 6, 2009

Expectations Exceeded

I could check off my list of expectations to let you know how our weekend went, or I could just show you this picture.


Ice cream

That pretty much sums things up. Michael was in 7th heaven this weekend. We went through a lot of napkins, but it was worth it.

We did encounter traffic on the way down to the beach, but Michael slept through the last hour of the ride, so it was a low stress crawl onto the island instead of and "Are we there yet" fest. Michael woke up shortly before we got to my dad's and was thrilled when we pulled up to the beach house.

Michael was excited to get his bathing suit on, but I wasn't sure how he was going to react to the ocean. I suspected that he wouldn't go running straight in like he did last year, and I was right. He seems to have developed a much greater sense of caution in the past few months. My dad and I walked down and stuck our feet in the water and Michael looked at us like we were crazy. I kept trying to coax him to come down with us, but he was afraid to get his feet in the water. He would chase the waves out as they receded and then would let them chase him back when the next wave rolled in. I swear, it was so cute that I could have watched it for hours.

He did finally come in enough to get his legs wet, but that's about it. The water was pretty cold and dark clouds were rolling in, so I decided to postpone the swimming until the next morning at the bay.

In the evening, we headed down to the Fantasy Island amusement park. Michael's reaction to seeing the Ferris wheel really surprised me. I expected him to show the same caution as he did with the ocean. Nope. He decided in an instant that he was going to it, and didn't let up until we were sitting in the yellow #5 car. I thought he might change his mind on the way up, but he didn't. He even tried to stand up at the top.

I'm pretty sure he would have gone on every single ride if I would have let him. I'm thankful that Curious George has an episode about being tall enough to go on rides. Michael didn't fight me on any rides that he wasn't big enough for. He did fight me to go on the rest though. When we finally wanted to leave, I had to distract him with the promise of ice cream to get him away. I think we need to consider a trip to Sesame Place or Dutch Wonderland for later in the summer.

I decided that I wasn't even going to try and get him to sleep before Andy and I went to bed. It made for a much more pleasant evening. Michael did share the bed with us, and it worked well...for him at least. He did spend some time sticking his fingers up my nose, and then trying to shove his feet down the back of my PJs but lucky for me he ended up rolling over and shoving his knees into Andy's back all night. Not so lucky for Andy.

We hit the bay beach on Saturday morning, and Michael was reluctant at first to go into the water. I decided to sit at the water's edge and play in the sand so that Michael could get comfortable with the setting. It took him a while before finally going in, and when he did, he decided to cling to me and stand on my legs. It wasn't very comfortable, but after a while a little girl came over and asked him to play. He finally decided that maybe water is fun.

We stayed for a long time. Andy finished reading, and I worked on not hovering too much. Of course, when it was finally time to go, Michael didnt' want to come out of the water. Typical.

In the afternoon, we headed up to Barneget Light for lunch and a trip out on the jetty. Michael was very tentative climbing on the rocks, but he was a trooper and kept trying even when he got a little nervous. I expect that next year he'll be climbing on them like a billy goat and I'll be the one that's a little nervous.

We headed home around dinner time. I had bought Michael Finding Nemo for the trip, hoping the novelty of a new movie would keep him occupied for the ride. It was a complete waste. Michael pulled shirt up over his head and fell asleep in a matter of minutes. He didn't wake up for tolls, for a gas stop, or even me picking him up and carrying him into the house. He was wiped out.

We woke him up around 7:30 and decided to let him stay up for fireworks. He really didn't like all the noise they made, so he insisted on staying in the house for the show. We live close enough to the show that we were able to sit down in the dinning room and watch the fireworks out the front windows. It wasn't the best way to view the show, but at least we didn't have to worry about the skeeters.

We did have one major fail over the weekend. I did sunscreen for both Michael and me before we went to the bay. Michael hates getting sunscreen on, and once it's on his arms he's too slippery to hold onto. He puts up quite a fight. By dinner time, I realized two things. One, I was too cautious around Michael's eyes and he was a little rosy in that area. Two, after fighting with Michael so hard, I forgot to get Andy to do my back. My back is fried to a crisp. I'm going to be paying for that mistake for a while.

I have more to say about my beach trip, and hopefully I'll have time to download our cameras tonight. But for now, let's just say I'm thrilled with our trip to the beach and can't wait to do it again.


10 comments:

Stacey said...

That sounds like a marvelous weekend! I'm jealous.

Kara said...

I'm glad you guys had a great weekend! Traveling with three year olds can definitely be unpredictable.

LauraC said...

Sounds like a great weekend! I'm jealous as I'd love to go back to the beach! We couldn't get Alex to go into the water unless he held my hand and ran along the edge. I have a large number of pics of us running down the beach but all of the pics involve my butt so you will not see them.

We use a sunscreen stick to sunscreen the kids' faces before we do bodies. Since we have to use sunscreen daily for day care from April - Sept, we've got quite the routine down!

Zoey and Ford's Mommy said...

What an awesome weekend you and your family had!! Super jealous! I love the picture of Michael too!

Maria said...

Sounds awesome! The beach is the greatest, isn't it? You can come visit here any time.

Steph said...

Awesome weekend at the beach! The picture of Michael with the ice cream cone really does say it all. Beach trips are the best!

Beth said...

Glad to hear the weekend exceeded expectations! We're going for 4 days in September. Hope our trip goes as well as yours did!

JenFen said...

Sounds like a great weekend and I can't wait to see more pics. Sorry about your back. I have done that so many times it is not even funny.

Karen said...

I second Laura's recommendation on the sunscreen stick for faces. I even use it for my own. That cone of soft serve looks so delicious! It definitely brings back memories of summers on the Jersey Shore.

Karla said...

Wow! I am glad that your trip was such a great success. It sure seems like Michael enjoyed every minute of it.

(I am jealous of your fireworks view too!)