Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Guess Where We Went!

When Michael was just itty bitty, he was pretty portable, but I was too tired to really want to go on any adventures. That first year was rough, and I was content with us just surviving. Michael started sleeping through the night when he was 15 months, and I finally had some energy again. Andy and I started thinking about going on outings again, but unfortunately, sleeping through the night was quickly followed by walking which was quickly followed by darting. Even a trip to the mall became an effort, so we didn't plan anything major. (Yeah, I know, I'm a wuss.)

This spring, two things happened. One, Michael started to occasionally listen to us when we left the house. Sometimes, he would actually hold my hand agreeably as well. This was huge. The other thing that happened was that Andy and I decided that we are going crazy and that it's time to start pushing our comfort zone.

Since then, we have had a successful trip to the shore, a number of pleasant dinners out, and I've even been able to let Michael walk in a few parking lots. This past weekend we decided to push the envelop a little further. Guess where we went.

Photobucket

Yes, we took Michael to see the World Series Champions trounce the Pittsburg Pirates. As you can see, we had another success! I don't think Michael had any idea what was going on down on the field, but that didn't bother him in the least. He cheered and clapped with the rest of the crowd. He took in the crowds and played with the stadium seat. He even opened some peanuts, although I'm not sure calling one a turtle and placing it in his pocket is standard operating procedure.

He did have a small breakdown at the bottom of the second inning. I don't know what happened. I looked over at him and his lip was jutting out. When I asked him what was wrong, he collapsed on me and bawled his eyes out. After a minute or two, he pulled himself together and returned to cheering and clapping. It was very odd, but then again, he is three.

He held up pretty well for the first part of the game, but by the top of the seventh inning, he was starting to get antsy. That's when I used my new found tool to keep him occupied.



Photobucket

Yeah, I'm working really hard at dissuading him from drinking soda. At least this time it was mostly water from the ice. (ewww)

We decided not to push things, so we left at the end of the seventh inning. That was a great call on Andy's part. We were able to avoid the mass exodus from the park, and we made it home in time to get Michael to bed at a decent hour.

On a silly note: While I was reviewing my pictures, I came across this.

Photobucket

I believe I've just reveled my true identity. You never new I was Elastigirl, did you?

7 comments:

Lindsay said...

The pics of Michael are SO CUTE! And that last one is crazy?!?

Julie said...

LOL on that last photo!

Looks like a great time! We once took Lana to a hockey game and it was not nearly as successful.

Karla said...

Looks like so much fun!!!

The last pic is pretty cool...and finally we know your true identity.

Stacey said...

Cole is jealous, very jealous.

Kara said...

I am right there with you.... Our 3year olds are growing up too fast! Kendall is starting to handle a little more adventure too. I love the fact that she has went to the movies twice now and we haven't had any meltdowns!

Oh, and that last picture is crazy!

Beth said...

So much fun! I definitely want to take the boys to a game before the season is out. We'll take William to a big league Nats game (even though the Nats are the WORST team in MLB), but I think both boys would enjoy a minor league game. Anyway, the pictures are awesome--especially the last one. You crack me up!

Karen said...

I think I already knew your true identity! Love the pics and sounds like a good time.