Monday, July 13, 2009

His first sip of...

We went to a BBQ at my sister-in-law's on Saturday. We have been having beautiful weather recently, so we were actually able to enjoy time outside playing games in the yard. We ate good food, enjoyed good company, and in general had a wonderful time.

Michael enjoyed himself too. His Aunt had bought him some toys and bubbles, so of course he decided to ignore them and mess around with her house and yard instead. She didn't seem to mind. Instead, she and several of the other women took turns playing with him. He was thrilled with all of the attention.

He did have a bit of a disappointment though. There was a very attractive older woman at the BBQ that he tried to put the moves on. She was six, and she wanted nothing to do with a grubby little three-year-old. (I'm pretty sure he was sticky too.) He really wanted to play with her, and he even approached her to ask her name, but she simply responded and turned away. Poor boy. Little does he know what the future will be like.

Not long after her rejection, I found him poking around on the porch. This is what he found.


Photobucket

Is that beer? The poor kid must be heart broken. But three seems a little too young to be hitting the bottle when rebuffed by a woman. Granted, she had gorgeous curls, but drinking never turns out well in the end.


Photobucket

Fortunately, he couldn't figure out how to open the bottle, and his evil mommy wouldn't help, so he gave up and moved on to the strawberries. (Ha, you didn't really think I was going to let him have some beer I hope!)

I did, however, introduce him to one of the most wonderful beverages on the face of the earth. His first Coca-Cola!
Photobucket

I have very mixed feelings about letting him have some soda. I have a serious Diet Coke habbit at this point, and I don't want him to end up the same way. I don't know how to keep him from getting hooked on soda like I did, but I do know that making it a special treat like my parents did is probably not the best way to go.

Michael seemed more excited about being given his own can of soda then he did about actually drinking it. He carried the can around for about half an hour, but he didn't actually drink very much of it. In the end, Michael was happy because we had entrusted him with a can of soda, and Andy and I were happy because he wasn't all hyped up on sugar and caffeine.

What more could I ask for?

10 comments:

Zoey and Ford's Mommy said...

Too cute!

I know what you mean about the Diet Coke thing. Mine is Pepsi. We have done a good job of keeping soda from Zoey, but I know it's just a matter of time.

London said...

LOL! I have to admit my kid has had more than a sip of coke more than once...bad mommy! But, he's immune to caffiene. Like me, he's naturally hyper with or without!

Mel said...

Analese has had caffeine free ginger ale and root beer. But there is enough sugar in those to hype her up pretty well anyway! She LOVES having ginger ales. I don't let her very often. Poor kid, she inherited my sweet tooth (although strangely I don't like sweet beverages, just sweet food).

Jennifer said...

Oh...I am such a bad mommy! We certainly don't let Eli have a lot of soda, but he shares sips of ours occassionally and Ian has already had his first sip! Send the Bad Mommy of the Year Award my way!!!!

Karla said...

Brave brave Mommy letting him have his own soda! I am glad that it worked out to everyone's advantage!

Sorry to hear about Michael's broken heart...glad he wasn't able to hit the bottle. Awfully young to start that kind of rejection reaction! (LOL) What a cute story and picture though. :)

Stacey said...

Great post! My husband and I are both Diet Coke addicts and so far we've managed to convince Cole it is an "adults-only" beverage. I have no idea how we're going to handle this long term.

Karen said...

We let Michael have sips of our soda but he rarely gets his own. He loves drinks of any kind so it's really hard to keep him away. His current favorite is OJ!

Beth said...

Hysterical! I love your writing style. I find, too, that William never ends up gorging on sweet treats that we offer. I love Coke, too, although I drink the regular stuff. William doesn't actually like Coke all that much, but Seth loves it! LOL.

Carrie77 said...

I don't drink soda, but my husband does so Nathan is always asking for a 'sip' of his soda. Sigh.

connie said...

Kenzie loves Soda, so it's probably a good thing we don't really keep it in the house. She has my sweet tooth though so all the candy has to stay hidden.
I had to laugh about the beer though and being turned down by his first girl. Poor little guy.