Thursday, August 6, 2009

An interesting, if minor, first

While I did do some changes to Michael's room to convert it from a nursery to a bedroom, one big nursery item still remains. The crib.

About a year ago, Andy and I discussed transitioning Michael from his crib to a toddler bed. In fact, we even purchased the side rail for the crib, so we can make the change at any time. We just kept putting it off. Around Christmas time, my mom got rid of her crib,the one that Michael napped in, and that's when he stopped napping all together. We decided not to risk night time sleep issues so Michael still sleeps in his crib.

I think for most kids, this wouldn't be an issue. They want out of their crib, they simply climb out. Not Michael. I've watched him throw his leg up over the rail at least 50 times, but he just won't commit to the risk. (What can I say, he's the product of two risk adverse parents.) So, we have never had a visitor in the middle of the night wanting to climb into bed with us, and we don't discover him asleep on the sofa in the morning. We place him in the crib at bedtime, and then we have to get him out in the morning.

Recently, he's been waking up as soon as Andy and I get up in the morning. He used to be content to stay in his crib for a little while, but now he calls for me to come and get him. I typically bring him into the master bedroom and he watches TV until I'm ready to go downstairs.

This morning it finally dawned on Michael that he didn't have to stay up there with me. One minute he was fishing off the side of the bed with Larry the Mommy snake, then next he was gone. I wandered out of the bathroom to find him heading down stairs. I backed off to see if he would brave the dark hallway, and sure enough, he did. 10 minutes later I came down to find him sitting on the sofa with the lights on and his magnadoodle in hand. I was very proud of him.

Now that he's made that connection, I'm wondering how long it will be before he realizes that he can climb out of his crib and go down anytime he wants. I'm not sure I'm looking forward to that.

Oh, and several of you had the same question about yesterday's post. Michael drinks strawberry milk, so that's why he throws up pink. I know...ewwww.

6 comments:

LauraC said...

So we have doorknob covers on the inside of the doorknobs to keep the kids in their rooms. One night Nate broke the lock off and realized hey I CAN BREAK LOCKS. But he was still trapped bc the knob is also reversed and he was locked in at that time. He's never tried to break off another lock yet bc he assumes the door is also locked. Funny huh?

I swear when I leave comments here I feel like the meanest mom. I'm not mean. My boys have just been in toddler beds for too long (almost two years now, scary huh???).

Mama Mia said...

We have the lock on the door too (So Laura if you are mean, I am too!). One night B tried to take it off by getting out ALL of his tools, creative, but thank GOD it didnt' work!

DesiDVM said...

Interestingly enough, J never tried to get out of his crib, and since he's been in his twin-size bed (we skipped the toddler bed) he never gets out of bed in the middle of the night. 5am is another story. We have to watch him though because he does wander around the house when he gets up, and he'll even go downstairs and climb in the pantry to get cereal or a nutrigrain bar if he's hungry. Sometimes we do hear him go into the bathroom at night and I'm always surprised that he doesn't turn the light on half the time, I would think he'd be scared but I guess when ya gotta go...

Beth said...

Around the time that William transitioned to a bed, he also began to insist on leaving his door open. Definitely a bummer! We have a gate at the top of the stairs, so William can't go downstairs. But he often comes into our room. It's never occurred to him to do something other than seek us out when he wakes up. I wish he would play in his room or downstairs by himself! (Too funny about the strawberry milk, btw!)

Stacey said...

I'm eager to hear the follow-up to this to see how far Michael will take his new realization.

This is one way in which Michael and Cole are not alike. Cole is risk-averse in most ways except when it comes to climbing. He could scale baby gates before he could walk. Also, he will try to get into anything we try to keep him out of. He can defeat the doorknob covers we've tried and most locks that he can reach.

I hope your luck hasn't entirely run out.

Julie said...

I think its great that you have kept Michael in a crib for so long! I wish I had done that, it would have saved me a lot of sleep issues this past year. Oddly enough Lana rarely gets out of bed--she will just yell for us in the middle of the night or in the morning. But yesterday when she woke up, I went into her room to get her and then I told her we should go potty. By the time I made it to the bathroom, she was already downstairs. She said she wanted to make me coffee.