Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Meaningless Progress

I haven't updated on potty training lately, but recently Michael has made some progress. Last week, my mom announced that Michael is officially potty trained. Then, she clarified her declaration. He's potty trained if he is naked.

Michael has been so resistant to wearing underpants that I stopped trying for a little while. With his naked potty training progress and his agreeable mood this weekend, I decided to give them another try. I pulled out two pairs and asked Michael if he wanted wear T Rex on his butt or Stegosaurus. He picked T Rex (of course) and let me put the underpants on without a fight. I was impressed. I explained that it was like being naked, and that if he needed to go potty he could ask for help, or go by himself if he wanted.

Not 10 minutes later, a naked Michael walked in to tell Andy he had used the potty. Andy lumped on the praise and helped him get the underwear back on. Then, he sent Michael to tell me what he had done so I could add some extra praise. Success!

About an hour later Michael and I were in the basement playing Wii when he disappeared into the closet. You know, his poop closet. Oh no. This is not what I was hoping for. I asked Michael if he needed to go up to the potty. NO! I asked if he needed a diaper. NO! I opened the door to find Michael peeing through his underwear and down his leg. Sigh.

I played it cool, but not too cool. I didn't want to freak him out for having an accident, but I wanted him to understand that peeing in his underwear wasn't the desirable outcome either. I'm going to get another potty and put it in the closet and then we'll try the underwear experience again.

When I checked in with my mom I explained what happened. He did the same thing to her. He goes in the potty if he's naked, but if he's in underwear, he pees in them instead. It's progress, but it's not practical.

6 comments:

LauraC said...

At least it is progress!

Have you considered letting him wear no underwear under shorts? They do that at day care when boys are first training if they are starting to regress.

Also my nephew wears boxer briefs!

Karen said...

I had to laugh when you said he went into the closet. I knew that couldn't be good.....

Maria said...

That is exactly what happened when Maya was potty training! I guess it makes sense, though. Just let h be naked as much as possible, after a few days he
will get it. Also, loose fitting shorts might do the trick because it doesn't feel diaperish. Good luck!

Mama Mia said...

Michael is SUCH a funny kid...

Beth said...

It's definitely progress!!! Don't give up. For the first week-and-a-half, William did great at school--he told the teacher when he needed to pee, he didn't have any accidents. And then when he got home, it was like he had no clue. He would just pee in his underwear, and usually not even tell me. But I stuck with the underwear, and it finally clicked. With the poop, he started off by holding it. Then when he finally had to go, he either went in his night-time diaper, or just pooped in his underwear. I took the same approach as you. I didn't get angry. I just told him that we don't poop in underwear. He could either use the toilet, or I would put a diaper on him. After a few gross poops and many reminders, he finally started telling me that he wanted a diaper. Then, on Friday, when he was home with Ed, he pooped on the potty, like he had been doing that all along. Over the weekend, though, if I was around, he insisted that I put a diaper on him. When I left to run an errand and he was home with Ed, he pooped on the potty. WTF??? THEN, today, when we got home from work, I went upstairs with Seth to change. When I came back downstairs, William was in the bathroom with the door closed and locked. I knocked on the door and asked if he was alright. He opened the door and said, "Guess what Mommy? I pooped on the potty!" And sure enough, he had. I had to laugh because he had pooped without the padded insert, and with the toilet seat up! It's amazing he didn't fall in. Anyway, my very long-winded point is, DO NOT GIVE UP. You are on the right track. For some lucky people, it happens overnight. For the rest of us, it's a long and rocky road. Michael will get there, though. Baby steps!

DesiDVM said...

Anything not in a diaper is progress in my book. J is extremely weird still about pooping on the potty - he's managed to not have an accident for a couple weeks now but only because he literally will hold it and only poop 1-2 times a week. We finally figured out that if he's randomly having pee accidents after doing really well for a few days, it's usually because he actually has to poop.