Monday, August 24, 2009

Weekend recap

I had a doctor's appointment on Friday morning, and I planned on taking the afternoon to catch up on some projects that I want to get done at home. However, by the time I got home, I gave in to temptation and ended up taking a nap. It was a wonderful, glorious thing to do, but it didn't give me much to blog about. Good thing the rest of the weekend did.

On Friday evening I asked Michael what he wanted for dinner. He responded that he wanted a grilled cheese from Tuna. I suspected that I knew what he really meant, but asked a few probing questions to make sure. When he finally told me that after he finished his grilled cheese he wanted to buy a cake, I knew for sure that he meant Panera instead. I have no idea where he picked up the word "tuna" but I appreciated the laugh. He appreciated the blueberry muffin he got after finishing his grilled cheese.

On Saturday, I took Andy out for dinner and a movie to celebrate his upcoming birthday. Dinner was yummy but I wasn't sure what to expect of the movie.

Andy was a big fan of G.I. Joe as a kid, so he really wanted to see the movie. I hated G.I. Joe as a kid, so I wasn't expecting much. I mean really, for super-dupper Special Ops, the Joes have always had amazingly bad aim. How lame is it when a 10 year old girl has better aim with a garage sale BB pistol than the Special Ops characters who are supposed to save the world?

The movie was even worse than I expected. I mean it was horrible. The plot was filled with holes and the dialog was trite and poorly delivered. The characters were so shallow that I didn't give a darn about any of them. The plot was so bad that it would have been better to have avoided one all together and just blow stuff up for the gratuitus violence.

The science and military aspects of the movie were laughable. (Caution, this may have spoilers...but seriously, don't waste your money.) They actualy had the main character Duke leave their science officer behind after a friendly fire attack. Now, the air strike was executed by Harriers, so that means the Marines. Um...a Marine would never just leave like that. Period. Duke was suposed to be more elite than a Marine, but I find that insulting to the Marines.

The science was even worse. I can let it slide that they needed a particle accelorator to weaponize their Nanomite weapons. I can even let it slide that the particle accelorator fit in an office that was only 20 feet by 20 feet. But, what they did at the end of the movie was too stupid to over look. The Joe's were attacking the bad guys who had a base under the polar ice cap. As a defense, the bad guys lunched missles at the ice floating overhead to break up the ice pack. The Joe's warned the attacking team members to watch out for ice falling through the water. They even show large chunks of ice sinking down onto the base. In other words, of the many people involved in writing, producing, filming, and generating CG for the movie, none of them grasped the concept that ICE FLOATS! I laughed out loud in the theater when that happened.

To be fair, even though the movie was terrible, Andy and I did enjoy ripping it to shreds for the remainder of the evening. It was good for a few laughs.

I think the best part of our weekend wasn't what we did, it was what we didn't do. We didn't have any insane battles over seemingly nothing. Michael was very agreeable all weekend long. He was sweet and funny and charming and even rational. Andy and I each took him out separately to spend some one on one time with him. Sunday is our chore day, and can often be the most stressful when Michael gets into a mood, but yesterday was very enjoyable. We had fun doing the grocery shopping, he let me fold laundry without whining, and he and Andy had fun at the playground. It was a simple day, but it was special because of how easy it was.

So, in summary...Michael likes grilled cheese from "Tuna", ice sinks, and Michael is rational. How's that for a weekend?

3 comments:

LauraC said...

I've seen a couple of movies that stand out to me like that (Armageddon comes to mind, you're going to drill a hole in a moving meteor?!). The one that stands out is that my friend Ann (yes the one on the blog) and I went to see The Saint with Elisabeth Shue right after she made Leaving Las Vegas.

If you haven't seen it, it is great to rip apart. Shue plays a nuclear physicist (!) who... in the pivotal moment... realizes her super complicated formula was on her index cards BACKWARDS. She rearranged her cards and voila, secret formula correct.

Ann actually yelled at the screen "That is so f*cking stupid! You should play a whore not a physicist!" I was like, settle down lady. And you call ME crazy?!

Oh yeah also have you seen the scene in Volcano where a guy jumps into flowing lava with his injured friend in his arms and throws the friend over his head out of the lava? Then proceeds to melt into the lava? That's a good one too.

Ice falls!

Karla said...

I love those days/week-ends when the kiddos are most agreeable. That just makes EVERYthing better!

Beth said...

I guess it's true--even really bad movies can be entertaining. My favorite "bad" movie that I really, really love is Shag. It was made in the late 80s, I think--set in the early 60s in South Carolina. Starring Phoebe Cates, Bridget Fonda, Annabeth Gish. It's terrible, but I LOVE it. Anyway, so glad you got a good dose of Mellow Michael this weekend. I love the "grilled cheese from Tuna" story. Nice deciphering Mom!