Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Lalalalala! I can't hear you!

My grandfather was an engineer. He held several patents and worked on some impressive jobs jobs like the mail sorting system at one of the big local post offices. He was also a royal pain in the butt.

My uncle is an engineer. He worked for NCR before deciding to teach instead. He can be a bit of a pain in the butt.

I work with a lot of engineers, including a few rocket scientists. They do some really impressive work, but they sure can be pains in the butt.

I should have been an engineer, but I decided to head in a different direction educationally. It didn't work, I still ended up working for an "Engineering" Company. And I'm still a pain in the butt.

As you all know, my mom does daycare for Michael. She sees some of the things he does, and considering her father and brother are engineers, she likes to tell me that Michael is going to be an engineer. I figure she's just taunting me.

About a month ago, the grandfather of one of Michael's friends was watching the two of them play. He knew nothing about Michael and had never watched him play. After watching Michael examine and manipulate the ball popping sprinkler for 15 minutes he turned to me and said, "Looks like he's going to be an engineer." He has no reason to taunt me.

Last week Michael and I took a trip to our local Learning Express toy store. We played with the doll house (meaning we took parts of the house apart and put them together again. The dolls were only involved when they were being pushed out windows to see what would happen to them). Next we moved onto the robo-construction trucks where Michael directed me on which trucks to move and which objects to lift. Finally, we ended up playing with the Zoobs and Magformers. We ended up buying Magformers to add to our set.

The store manager rang us up. "You have a lot of patience with him. He looks like he's going to grow up to be an engineer."

I ran from the store screaming.

What did I do to deserve this?

7 comments:

LauraC said...

I'm an engineer & Jon's an engineer, although we were smart and realized you make twice as much money in software engineering :) By pain in the butt, I know you mean:

everything is black or white
socially awkward
sticklers for rules and details
lots of why questions

You can look at it as:

there are no gray areas
very little money on social stuff
rule follower and attention to detail
many opportunities to educate

Joanna said...

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention...even my friends are engineers.

Deanna said...

I knew I wanted to be a chemical engineer when I was a sophomore in high school. There's no escaping The Knack!

hee hee...

Karla said...

I love how the dolls were only used to see what would happen when you pushed them out the window! LOL Great post!

JenFen said...

Great post - made me laugh (I can just see Michael pushing the dolls through the window) and some things there are just no escaping. LOL!

Julie said...

Love it! LOL. Its pretty inevitable if even strangers are making these comments!

Stacey said...

Awesome! It could be worse... I can't tell you how many times we've heard, "Looks like you've got a future lawyer on your hands."