Thursday, September 3, 2009

Saving Face

One of the things the authors talk about in "Your 3-Year-Old: Friend or Enemy" is the need to help the kids save face when they disagree with you. I've found this to be very helpful with Michael. It really helps to diffuse his natural contrarian leanings.

Setting: Living room shortly before bedtime.

Michael: Yawn

Me: It's almost bedtime bud.

Michael: I don't want to go to bed. *rubs at red eyes*

Me: um-hum

Two minutes later.

Michael: Mommy, is Larry tired?

Me: Yes. Do you want to take him up to bed?

Michael: *grabs Larry and heads for the stairs*

It's so nice of Michael to sacrifice staying up late just so the very tired Larry can get some sleep.

4 comments:

Mel said...

Natural contrarian leanings - I like that! That is a very nice way to say it. And I've used that trick successfully too. Bunny is tired and needs a nap and wants you to snuggle hee hee!

Carrie77 said...

I need to try that one!

Karla said...

Oh yes! Devin has some very sleepy bears!! Cute!

Stacey said...

I can't imagine that ever in a million years working here, but you can bet I'll be trying it tomorrow.