Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Silver Lining

Michael was in a decent mood when I picked him up yesterday. (And my mom had survived the day. Bonus!) He allowed me to put his shoes on and even got into his car seat without any problems. At a minimum, I could at least contain any tantrums to our house, instead of the entire township.

We got home early enough that Michael and I were able to go outside and play. We played some basketball, then baseball, climbed on the rocks and finally blew some bubbles. Michael is getting pretty decent at basket ball and baseball. It's nice to see him enjoying some physical activities outside of the pool.

We were finally chased inside by a swarm of gnats and I threw together a quick dinner. Michael insisted that he was not hungry, and based on his recent mood swings I decided not to push him on it. He played quietly in the living room while Andy and I ate.

As soon as Michael heard me push my chair back he called me to come sit with him in the living room. I picked up Larry and Hannah (Hannah is a stuffed Brachiosaurus that has become a close friend of Michael and Larry. It's sweet, but I keep saying Harry and Lannah instead of Larry and Hannah.), lifted Michael on my lap, and we cuddled for a half hour on the sofa.

I know Michael is moody and struggling right now. The tanturms are not fun. The night waking is not fun. But snuggling with him when he's feeling a little insecure feels abosolutely wonderful. I wish that part of being little could last forever.

6 comments:

Beth said...

I agree! Last night William was having a hard time falling asleep. He wanted me to lie down with him, and I couldn't resist. I actually fell fast asleep and didn't get up to get into my bed until 11:00 p.m.! Although I know it sets a bad precedent to lie down with him, the chances to cuddle and bond will come fewer and farther between as he gets older.

Karen said...

The cuddling is what keeps you coming back for more, even when the tantrums far outnumber that!

Heidi O said...

You are so good at using your time with him wisely for fun. I need to get better at that.

Stacey said...

The good thing about boys is that the cuddling lasts longer I think. My fourth grade boys are all about hugging their moms, but the girls are already too cool for it.

Mama Mia said...

I wish I had a cuddler

Susan said...

Moody kids are difficult...I have one and he is now almost 16. He didn't throw tantrums - I can honestly say that but he would get angry and mope or stay in his room. Some of that hasn't changed but as parents we learn to pick our battles, especially with teenagers. I know yours is an only child but when you have multiple children....it just reinforces that they cannot be parented the same. I have to use different parenting skills on my "moody" child versus my very happy, outgoing child. But in our more challenging children, they have big hearts and even my sometimes moody 15 year old has times he wants to be with mom!