Thursday, October 22, 2009

Chompers

Ever since Michael weaned at 15 months and he learned how to sooth himself to sleep, Michael has been a pretty good sleeper. However, it seems that in addition to the serious emotional control glitches, Michael version 3.5 has also developed some sleep glitches.

The sleep issues aren't too bad. Mostly just waking at 6:00 on weekends (which should be expected for a kid that has to get up at 5:30 during the week) and the occasional night time wake up. He doesn't need much when he wakes at night. I normally go in, tuck him in, get his pillow for him, and stay with him for a minute while he drifts off again. I know he's going through a sensitive stage right now, and I don't mind getting up with him now and again.

Last night he woke at 11:30 and called out for me. I was able to get him settled again and was back to bed in five minutes. Not too bad.

At 12:30, he woke again, and this time he called out for Daddy. He rarely does that. Part of me was a little jealous. Most of me was thrilled!

Andy went in to him, and I heard them talking quietly. Next I hear Michael saying "Shoo! Shoo!", then a little more talking. Hmm...

Then, I hear Andy get up and head downstairs. We don't give Michael milk at night, so I couldn't understand why Andy was heading down. It actually crossed my mind that maybe he was going to check and see if the Phillies had clinched a World Series spot last night. That would be crazy, but fans do crazy things.

A few minutes later, Andy came back up. I heard him in Michael's room along with a few more "Shoo! Shoos!" Then he came back to bed and I drifted off to sleep.

I was the first one downstairs this morning. When I walked into the living room I noticed that Andy had pulled out a handful of construction paper and it was sitting out on the coffee table.

That's weird. Why would he had gotten construction paper out in the middle of the night?

I learned the answer when I went to get Michael up. When I walked into his room, I found a "No Chompers Allowed" sign on Michael's door and on his bed.

I can't wait to get home and find out the story behind this one. But I can't help but smile about it. I mean really, how sweet is it for a daddy to make "no chompers allowed" signs in the middle of the night, just to make his little boy feel better?

11 comments:

LauraC said...

Sweet! Super sweet!

Beth said...

OMG--that is the cutest sweetest thing I've ever heard! That would make a cute children's book.

MyWorld said...

Cool Dads rock.

Maria said...

Looks like Michael has a pretty sweet Dad!

Carrie77 said...

Umm, yes, please share the story!!!! You have my interest...heheh

Stacey said...

I can't wait to hear the story! How adorable.

JenFen said...

I can't wait to hear the details behind that one but seriously that is SO super cute and sweet.

Susan said...

Awh....that is pretty sweet.

Mama Mia said...

CUTE

claudia said...

You have a good man - a keeper.

Karen said...

What a sweet daddy! Especially to do that in the middle of the night.