Tuesday, November 17, 2009

And So He Walks

I'm the youngest of three children who are very close in age. Close enough that both my brother and sister were two when I was born. And no, they are not twins, they are just really close in age. As you might guess, when a family has three little ones in diapers at the same time, the kids may not get as much individual attention as an only child gets. As the youngest of the three, I felt the full force of this. Don't get me wrong, I'm not passing a judgment. In fact, it was very liberating for me because I was normally allowed to do things at the same time as they did, not at the same age. But, I think everyone with any experience with families with more than one child knows that the more kids there are, the less coddled they normally are.

Having said that, Michael is an only child. He's also the only child of a somewhat older mother who understands full and well how short his childhood is going to be. I know how fast it's going, and I want to enjoy it while I can. So, it's possible that Michael may get away with some things that many kids, including myself, would never get away with.

One of those things is that I carry him whenever I get the chance. Yes, he's 3.5 and perfectly capable of walking on his own, but I've been saying since day one that I will carry him as long as he will let me and as long as I can physically do it. The fact that he's a darter helped to reinforce this, since I had to pick him up and carry him even when he didn't want me too just to keep him safe.

He's been pretty clingy lately, so he has been asking me to carry him a lot. However, he's also growing really fast. So fast that I swear he grows inches over night. He's really tall and he's no lightweight anymore either. I hate to say it, but I just cannot carry him the way I used to. I can handle short distances, but that's about it.

So, I'm sad to say that my sweet, little, itty, bitty baby now has to walk on his own two feet most of the time.

Sniff, sniff.

I have a feeling that it's more painful for me than it is for him.

7 comments:

LauraC said...

Parenting problem? I solve it.

Piggyback rides.

(Also did you know I can carry both boys kicking and crying up the stairs by myself. I might have to patent the Twin Mother Workout Plan.)

Beth said...

Sniff sniff. We gotta stop writing about how quickly our boys are growing up! William often asks me to carry him up the stairs. But I'm usually holding Seth, so I have to turn William down. So on those occasions when I'm not carrying Seth? I absolutely carry William. And that reminds me of the book, "Love You Forever."--"I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always. As long as I'm living, my baby you'll be." (I should have written that in Laura's comments!)

Mel said...

I've carried both of mine up the stairs at the same time too! Usually only when Analese is being ornery (which is about 95% of the time lately). On the positive side, I don't need the gym!

London said...

I've been dealing with the same thing lately. I'm a pretty small person, and even though B-man is pretty small for his age his is nearly to the point where he is too big for me to lug. I even just open the car door no and let him climb in and up into his carseat. Plus, with me being pregnant, I'm not supposed to be carrying him around, I guess. But I still do it it anyway.

Stacey said...

I still carry Cole a lot, but only for short distances. I think it's nice.

There is a parent at the school where I teach who always carries her kindergartner when she picks him up from school. I'll admit I think this is a little weird.

Susan said...

I feel your pain....but I like Laura C's solution ;) Piggy back rides sound good and I use to do the horse back ride thing too but it is hard on your knees. I miss my guys being your Michael's age and think it very wise of you to understand just how fast it goes. I had kids VERY young and still can't believe my baby is 19!!

Steph said...

That point has really hit home with me this week after getting sick Monday.... Cooper would ask me to pick him up and I just couldn't. Sad, they are growing up so fast!